getting frustrated

dpond855

Seaman
so I have a 1984 65 hp Johnson with two wire tilt and trim. Put battery in boat and got severe arcing and scorching at battery when trying to attach tnt cables to battery. replaced relays still got arcing. disconnected toggle switch and got the same thing. am I having a ground issue here and is there a way I can raise the motor by jumping. I saw some older posts but wasn't sure, can I jump from pos batt. to wire coming from tnt motor. whats the best way to isolate this?

foodfisher

Captain
Sounds like a positive negative thing. Are you sure you're trying to attach the proper leads to the correct post?

NYBo

Admiral
If you connect the wires from the motor directly to the battery terminals (the motor draws a fair amount of current so there WILL be sparks, so install a heavy duty switch inline) the motor should turn. Reverse the wires and it will turn in the other direction. However, this would only be useful to diagnose the motor itself. You clearly have something wrong with the wiring.

dpond855

Seaman
thanks for your reply. yes im attaching them correctly or at least trying to. put battery on multi meter and is showing proper voltage. all other accessories work fine. if I hook neg up first and then touch pos the pos arcs. if I hook up pos first then neg arcs. don't know if that helps. im at a loss any help is much appreciated.

dpond855

Seaman
Can I disconnect the green and blue wires from the relay and jump them right to positive to see if it activates motor ?

dpond855

Seaman
What do u mean one at a time. Touch green to positive then blue to negative and vice versa?

NYBo

Admiral
What do u mean one at a time. Touch green to positive then blue to negative and vice versa?

NO!! You connect blue to one battery terminal and green to the other. If the motor works and the rams and pump are intact, the outboard will tilt. If you reverse the leads, the outboard will tilt in the other direction. "Grounding" the pump motor to the negative battery terminal will NOT create a complete circuit.

so I have a 1984 65 hp Johnson with two wire tilt and trim. Put battery in boat and got severe arcing and scorching at battery when trying to attach tnt cables to battery. replaced relays still got arcing. disconnected toggle switch and got the same thing. am I having a ground issue here and is there a way I can raise the motor by jumping. I saw some older posts but wasn't sure, can I jump from pos batt. to wire coming from tnt motor. whats the best way to isolate this?

the 65 should have the tilt and trim box under the cowling so im wondering what tilt and trim wires you are hooking to the battery.

To test make sure you have the leads that go to the motor not the leads that go to the box. Make jumpers (piece of wire) using spade connectors so the leads are long enoght to reach the battery with out you being in the area the motor will move (bad idea to get trapped by motor). Next hold blue to positive then touch the green to negative if you do not hear the pump start after 1 second remove the wires as the pump has a problem. Do not connect the wires from the relay box (blue and green) to the battery as that will cause sparks.

dpond855

Seaman
ok so I jumped straight to battery and motor goes up and down. tried connecting wires back on got little spark and the hot wires (wire from switch and two going into relays from positive battery) got extremely hot and burned off. I know stupid. since the motor operated can I assume that the problem is not there and in the wiring somewhere from the relays on back? I think im just going to rewire the whole thing.

http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=44783

is the diagram from this link what I should be following for rewiring?

yes the diagram is correct. Watch the small jumper plates in the trim control box they are painted over with black paint also add a 30amp inline fuse between the battery connection and the trim box on the positive cable.

dpond855

Seaman
The two grounds coming off 87A and 85. Can I have two seperate wires coming off these terminals and splice the together so I have one ground going to battery?

dpond855

Seaman
Also I bought new relay switches for the rewire. Are the relays at the auto store the same thing. They have the same prong setup and same numbers I just don't know if they operate the same and if insulate factors are same and such?

you can connect 87a and 85 any way you like to dc negative as long as you keep the wire size the same as the trim motor. (on the original the jumper to 85 was a smaller wire). A better idea is to use piggy back spade connectors if you can find them then daisy chain all the grounds.

5 pin 12vdc Auto relays with the same or better amp rating will work fine. I think they are all 20amp so you should be fine

dpond855

Seaman
Ok so I rewired the switch. Rewired positive from relay to battery. Two new relays and still getting arc. If I pull the red positive off both relays the arc goes away. Bilge works, aerator and bait tank work. Motor turns over and runs.

dpond855

Seaman
I will change over ground wires now but my hopes are fading fast. Anything else I can do

NYBo

Admiral
Is your wiring EXACTLY like the diagram, with no extra connections? Are there any other trim switches?

dpond855

Seaman
new wires everywhere. I spliced 85 and 87A together for one switch and did the same for the other switch. still get arc. spliced 87 and trim switch hot together and put on +terminal. ran other 87 to +term. ran motor wires to 30 and switch wires to 86. any suggestions?