Fish Finder was working, but won't turn on at all now. HELP

Tim Nettles

Recruit
Hey everyone. I am a complete beginner when it comes to boats. I don't know much about it, but I bought a boat from a user on craigslist. The boat came with a Humminbird 597 ci HD di. The fish finder worked fine previously, but it did give a low battery warning a few times we took it out. Regardless, it was working fine. All of a sudden the fish finder doesn't turn on anymore. Why is that? I charged the batteries, and even then it won't turn on. We didn't do anything different.

This may sound like a stupid question, and I apologize in advance if it is, but are there separate batteries INSIDE the fish finder that I have to replace? On the back of the fish finder, there is a little rectangle where it says to press to open, but no matter how hard I press, nothing comes out. I want to know what's inside that too.
This is really bugging me, so let me know please.
Thanks a bunch

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
A typical fish finder requires the following:
1) +12 volt connection
2) Ground (negative) connection
3) Transducer connection.

So the usual suspects in a unit not turning on would be to verify the unit is getting power. That means investing in a voltmeter and learning how to use it. The unit probably has a fuse in the +12 line. Check it. Make sure the ground wire is connected to a good ground. The unit should turn on whether or not the transducer is plugged in.