Expectations of a starting battery, would like you experience and opinion.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I installed a new starting battery 3 years ago in my 16' Sylvan to turn over its 50 hp Merc. Typically I charge the battery over the winter and leave it on float, I install it in the boat, then I never have to touch it again. This is year 3 after the rebuild, both years 1 and 2 I got a dead battery on the last day of use in October. Should I be charging my starter battery throughout the year?

This past week we went on a weeks vacation with the boat. We fished every day and ran the electronics, which isn't a whole lot. My fish finder stays ON, and I cycled the live well pump throughout the day. We were good Saturday through the following Friday, but then my battery died and I had to hook up my trolling battery to get back to the dock. Should I be charging the starter battery on occasion? Should I be able to run my live well throughout the day along with my fish finder without fear of the battery going dead? Should I be running my live well pump off of my starting battery or should it be on the trolling battery?

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander
I had a similar problem with my 3 year old battery starter battery (which I recently had to replace) I would use my combo GPS and most times the stereo and a sirius radio while trolling. The troller was off a separate deep cycle battery. 3 years ago when I replaced the starter battery with an Everstart (Walmart) battery I got a combo deep cycle/starter battery.

I too keep my batteries on a float charger over the winter. I think my problem was that I would run the starter down with the electronics and the alternator really never has a long enough run time to top it back off. I have an onboard 2 bank charger that I used to be able to plug on when I got back from the days boating (but now I have no power in the garage where I rent).

For one thing I'd have someone check the output of the outboards alternator. If thats OK then check the batteries charge at the end of your day. If its low than you will have to charge it or get a two bank charger and just plug it in.

I used to get 5 years off a battery, but I don't think they last as long as they used to no matter how well you take care of one.

If you need to replace your starter battery you might want to get a deep cycle version because regular cranking batteries are not designed to be constantly run down and re-charged again.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like we're in the same boat.... based on my voltage display in my fish finder, I can tell that the battery is charging, is it possible to get a weak charge? From the time I start, till the time I get to my fishing spot, my voltage is higher. On a full charge my battery will read 12.8V, on a normal day I will read about 12.5V, the other day I noticed that I was at 9.5V and it wouldn't spin the motor fast enough to start it. I'm pretty sure that the problem is that I'm starting and making short runs, probably not long enough to replenish the power that I used on a restart. I never run at night but would like to sometime. I just switched all lighting to LED to save power, but based on recent history, I'm not sure I trust a long float time without the motor running and charging.

It wouldn't hurt a bit to put your starting battery on a trickle charge in between uses.

One thing to consider is the output of your charging system. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that your 50 hp Merc might only have a 10 amp charging capacity, and it's not going to put out that much unless you're running at speed. It's possible you're running the battery down with your electronics and just not giving it a chance to charge back up. Or it's always possible that the charging system isn't operating up to snuff.

I have a digital voltmeter in the panel of my boat so I can see what's going on, either too high or too low is reason to investigate.

And my batteries all have lasted at least 5 years.

Expidia

Commander
They make inexpensive solar powered trickle chargers too. I'd use one myself but since the garage I use is behind a bunch of apartments with college kids in them If I mounted a small solar panel on top of the garage, someone would steal it in a heartbeat :blue:.

As I mentioned before if you trailer and have power where you park your boat then an onboard two bank charger would be a cheap solution. I say two bank if you are also using a trolling battery that charger would charge both batteries back up at the end of your day. Even leaving a starter battery down 10 or 20% at the end of a trip without charging it back up will take years off its life. And if you start your next trip already down 10 or 20% you are only going to make things worse.

You would have to be going high speed for a long time for that battery to top off again by the outboards charging system. Starter batteries are not designed to be run down. Even if you get a deep cycle for a starter, since you run it down as I do it is not going to solve your need to re-charge it after each time you run it down and after each trip out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Top off the battery before taking the boat out.
Use the motor for longer periods of time, as in - go for a long ride during your week long vacation.
Put your livewell and fish finder on the trolling motor battery.

Expidia

Commander
As an example, last time I used my boat was last Sat. Was supposed to use it today, but 50% chance of rain today with thundershowers so I stayed home.

Just pulled my starter battery to put it on my charger in my basement because I did not want to take a chance on leaving it without a full charge for maybe 2 weeks plus depending on the weather.

Found battery had a full charge. But that was because the last trip out the cruise back to the dock was 10 miles at 3/4 throttle. But this is not always the case for me. Usuallly, its more like 2 miles back to the launch because I tend to work my way back towards my launch area during the day.

I might have to try one of those solar chargers and put it on the garage roof, somewhat out of sight, but in the sunlight. Then when I get back from a days outing I can hook the starter battery up while its still in the boat.

Bad enough I have to lug out the 55 lb troller battery after each trip and charge it in my basement. Im not about to lug two batteries out of boat and into my basement each trip. My garage rental is across the street from my house. At least with a solar powered charger I would only have to top of the starter battery from like 10-20% drawdown, which should be within a solar chargers capacity.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe in tricking, I don't believe in having 2 batteries and I would not buy a "starting" battery.

I have 4 boats with batteries and all are deep cycle, even on the boats that only have a simple depthfinder and no other electronics. I check them monthly over winter and they usually are down no more than 0.3 or 0.4 volts. Then I charge them up with an automatic charger until the unit goes to float. If I see excessive loss month to month I know the battery is on its last legs and it'll be replaced.

Three of the 4 batteries are good to go all Summer long with only rechaging by the motor when its in use. The 4th runs an electric trolling motor as well, and it gets recharged after each use.

I usually get 8 or 9 years on a battery. I don't buy wally batteries. My Stingray is on her 31st season and only her 4th battery. I DO have a lot of electronics on that boat, and that's why the battery was upgraded to a size 27.

NYBo

Admiral
Either the charging system on your motor isn't working, or it's unable to keep up with the usage. Definitely top off the charge immediately after each trip to maximize battery life and minimize your chances of being stranded. Of course, you can probably pull-start your motor with a rope.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
I installed a new starting battery 3 years ago in my 16' Sylvan to turn over its 50 hp Merc. Typically I charge the battery over the winter and leave it on float, I install it in the boat, then I never have to touch it again. This is year 3 after the rebuild, both years 1 and 2 I got a dead battery on the last day of use in October. Should I be charging my starter battery throughout the year?

This past week we went on a weeks vacation with the boat. We fished every day and ran the electronics, which isn't a whole lot. My fish finder stays ON, and I cycled the live well pump throughout the day. We were good Saturday through the following Friday, but then my battery died and I had to hook up my trolling battery to get back to the dock. Should I be charging the starter battery on occasion? Should I be able to run my live well throughout the day along with my fish finder without fear of the battery going dead? Should I be running my live well pump off of my starting battery or should it be on the trolling battery?

I trailer and dry store my boat after each use. Have no power at storage space, so pull my battery after each outing and put on trickle charge on bench until next use. My battery is always an trickle charge and I never have a problem. Year round. Also never put your battery on concrete!! :)

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I trailer and dry store my boat after each use. Have no power at storage space, so pull my battery after each outing and put on trickle charge on bench until next use. My battery is always an trickle charge and I never have a problem. Year round. Also never put your battery on concrete!! :)

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I knew about the concrete issue as well and I too believe that this is no longer a concern. I am however old school, I set my batteries on a piece of plywood anyway.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most of the boaters in my area use two batteries, one main battery for starting and a deep cycle for accessories. All accessories run of deep cycle and the starting battery is used for starting only! My engine takes care of keeping the starting battery charged and I use a group 27 deep cycle for everything else. I charge the deep cycle to its peak at the beginning of the season and only charge if it drops below 50% and under normal circumstances it lasts the entire season without recharge. I even run my running lights off the deep cycle, all my electronics, minnow bucket aerator, and radios. Never had a starting problem and deep cycle is 4 yrs old, I have them tested each year before installing in my boat. This has worked for me for many years and just as well for most boaters in my area.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are discharging your start type battery much at all, it's going to fail a lot sooner than it should. If you need to discharge your battery, switch to a deep cycle battery.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
That was good advice maybe 70 years ago, but not since they started making batteries with rubber or plastic cases.

OK, did some more reading, specifically in the "Top Secret" files under the heading "Winterizing". Found a statement regarding battery storage in a post by JB (Moderator) about storing them on wood. It's under paragraph 6. Quote is below.

"6. Remove all batteries and properly check the charge on each one. Store them in your basement on a wooden shelf, a cement floor can harm your battery. Don't forget to check the charge on those batteries at least twice during the winter as well."

Link to OP http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ked-questions-faq/162223-winterizing?t=158078

See Post #2

So who and what is right?

I am with hotrod53, sticking with the old school way of doing it. After all, what harm can it do!:)

NYBo

Admiral
OK, did some more reading, specifically in the "Top Secret" files under the heading "Winterizing". Found a statement regarding battery storage in a post by JB (Moderator) about storing them on wood. It's under paragraph 6. Quote is below.

"6. Remove all batteries and properly check the charge on each one. Store them in your basement on a wooden shelf, a cement floor can harm your battery. Don't forget to check the charge on those batteries at least twice during the winter as well."

Link to OP http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...izing?t=158078

See Post #2

So who and what is right?

I am with hotrod53, sticking with the old school way of doing it. After all, what harm can it do!:)

I'll let the folks at Interstate Batteries answer: http://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Actually read that post yesterday while reading up on the battery storage question for my own satisfaction. No doubt tech has changed, don't question the change.

I was really simply pointing out the information being provided here on the forum as correct. That is what the "Top Secret Files" are all about isn't it, presumed valid information provided for the purpose of learning?

As for me personally, it will not hurt to put it on a shelf. JMO:)