Where is it coming from??? How to stop it??

mudcat6

Recruit
My new to me, 1996 Tracker Pontoon, with 1996 Merc 115 motor...With motor running, there is an almost constant loud & annoying buzzing, ringing, chirping sound coming from the steering console area.. Can't pinpoint.. Only three (3) gauges, tach; volt; water..
The only thing I can think of, is that the motor was initially oil injected, but has been modified to be oil operator added, and that this noise is caused by or related to this.
Could this be the reason, and if not, what do you think it could be.
.If I am right, how do I put a stop to it???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
What is the model number of the engine?
Serial number too please.

Could be a low oil warning.
Or a high temp overheat alarm.
When was the water pump impeller last changed?

Best to determine why, before stopping the buzzing.

To stop it, fix the problem or disconnect the wire to the buzzer.

sounds like the buzzer in the remote control. when was the motor changed from oil injected to pre-mix. Did the buzzing start when the oil reserve was removed or when it went low on oil.
like roscoe said you need to find out why then fix that.

mudcat6

Recruit
I don't have a mechanical issue.. The motor starts & runs perfectly. I ran many miles & over 25 gal of fuel through it yesterday. It has a new impeller & new prop. The water gauge indicates adequate cooling, and the pee stream verifies same. Since there is nothing (other than the tach, volt, water, gauges) in or under the steering console, I think the buzzer might be a part of the throttle/gear control. Just thought that somebody might have experienced this buzzer noise, and tell me where to locate the source, and how to eliminate it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It was just explained to you. The buzzer signals a problem so you cannot just ignore it. And tell tale streams are no guarantee an overheat doesn't exist. It merely means the water pump is working. A stuck thermostat or poppet valve will also cause overheating as will clogged cooling passages. Is the "water" gauge you mention a "water pressure" or a "water temperature" gauge? Big difference.

I don't have a mechanical issue.. The motor starts & runs perfectly. I ran many miles & over 25 gal of fuel through it yesterday. It has a new impeller & new prop. The water gauge indicates adequate cooling, and the pee stream verifies same. Since there is nothing (other than the tach, volt, water, gauges) in or under the steering console, I think the buzzer might be a part of the throttle/gear control. Just thought that somebody might have experienced this buzzer noise, and tell me where to locate the source, and how to eliminate it.

throttle gear/gear controller is often call the remote and inside is the buzzer but I think you have missed the point. There is more then one alarm tied to the buzzer so removing the buzzer is a bad idea. we have no idea who removed your oil injection or how they did it. Maybe its not even removed and you have just started premixing so the engine is telling you the oil container is low level. Now its your motor if you don't want any warning like high temp disconnect it. If you want assistance on how to diagnose and stop the alarm we are here to help. Also you need to know that theres 2 sides to the engine and even if its peeing fine that doesn't mean both sides are being cooled which is why they added a alarm to alert you to a problem.

25 gals of fuel with the alarm going :facepalm:

mudcat6

Recruit
Model & year? Title say's it's a 1996 "TRACKER" 115 HP. .Motor cowling (hood) say's TRACKER... It's a Mercury!!
"Low Oil..OR Overheat"... Buzzer begins at COLD start up ans lasts until shut down... Oil (Merc) is used & added by myself to guarantee correct mixture..
After almost 5 hour run time on Saturday, I think it would be a basket case if lube/heat were the cause. Again, the engine starts and runs perfectly; with no issues hot or cold.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Model & year? Title say's it's a 1996 "TRACKER" 115 HP. .Motor cowling (hood) say's TRACKER... It's a Mercury!!
"Low Oil..OR Overheat"... Buzzer begins at COLD start up ans lasts until shut down... Oil (Merc) is used & added by myself to guarantee correct mixture..
After almost 5 hour run time on Saturday, I think it would be a basket case if lube/heat were the cause. Again, the engine starts and runs perfectly; with no issues hot or cold.
Sorry I missed it!

You say its been converted from oil injection to mix. The low oil alarm would be on the old injection oil tank. Was anything done to the tank or sensor?

mudcat6

Recruit
I'm 79 years old and can't hear myself fart!! If the alarm (buzzer) is on or near the engine, I could not/would not hear it The boat & motor is docked 115 miles away, and I will not see it again until next weekend...Maybe the original oil tank & mix system is still present; and just being ignored, I don't know. I do know, that the previous owner told me that it had been changed to owner mix, and that's what I have been doing.
when I see it again, I will pull the hood to see what is there

bloyet03

Cadet
Lost in translation..... ???
The Low Oil Alarm (Sensor) would be on the Oil Injection Tank; The Alarm (Buzzer) would be somewhere near the Helm.

Sounds to me like the sensor for the oil needs to be bypassed. I do remember my local marine shop telling me that they also have an oil pressure sensor on the oil pump on the side of the engine (Johnson 40 HP, tracker edition) so it might be there to.