VHF Radio Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zookeeper 2280

Recruit
Hello iboats members! This being my first post, I want to say that this site has been a great source of information that has helped me keep my 25+ year old boat going strong.

I have an older Apelco VHF radio (model 5160 I believe) that has been giving me some problems lately. This radio is connected to an 8' Shakespeare VHF antenna, and all was working fine for the first two years that I owned the boat. Now when I first turn it on for the day, it seems to work fine. Once it has been on for a little while (10-30 minutes), it starts to play static from the speaker. It sounds as if the squelch needs to be adjusted, but turning the squelch knob has no effect on the static. I can still hear other people's broadcasts, but can't get rid of the constant static. The static sound continues across all channels.

I also have a Uniden handheld VHF radio that I keep on board as a backup and have verified that the Apelco transmits and receives (at least at a very short range), and also that the static issue is confined to the Apelco unit.

My question is whether the Apelco VHF radio itself is likely bad, or if I should look for a possible issue with the antenna or wiring before I go buy a new radio? I'm thinking that there is a solder joint or something inside the radio that is opening up once it gets warmed up that is taking the squelch knob out of commission, but wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas. I'd hate to buy a new radio and then find out I really needed an antenna or had a problem with the antenna wiring. Is there a way to test the antenna/wiring to verify that it is good aside from connecting it to a known good radio? I don't have a way to connect the handheld to the 8' antenna or I'd have tried that already.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Eric

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
First, disconnect the antenna and see if you hear the static. Do NOT hit the transmit button, you will probably be replacing the radio... I'm guessing you will still hear the static, which means your radio is shot. Time for an upgrade.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome (belatedly) to iboats!:welcome:

This could be the volume control rheostat going bad or simply being dirty. Try turning the knob all the way in both directions quickly, several times, and see if it makes a difference. You can also try spraying inside the rheostat with contact cleaner, if you can get to it

Zookeeper 2280

Recruit
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try both of those when I get back to the boat later this week. In the meantime I will start looking at new radios since that seems to be the most likely outcome.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Does it sound like real static or is it more a hum? It could be that the alternator when it gets warm together with an older battery starts to generate some noise too. Especially when radios are not wired directly to the battery that can cause issues.
However, with a radio that old it might be worth changing it out for a new one with DSC anyhow. You can get them now for $120 and less. If the noise is generated by the electrical system that won't fix the issue.......

You may want to run 2 fused temporary wires directly from the battery to the VHF to eliminate that part (or not).

Last edited:

Zookeeper 2280

Recruit
kjsAZ - It's definitely real static, it sounds just like when you adjust the squelch too far. It also sounds the same whether the engine is on or off, so that should rule out any electrical interference from the alternator. I agree with you, it's probably just time to upgrade to a new one. The VHF is actually the last remaining piece of electronic equipment that I haven't upgraded since I bought the boat; I don't use it a lot and it wasn't broken. At least this upgrade will be an easy one to explain to the wife since it's for safety purposes :)

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
If it's always there it's 99% the radio itself. As it is waterproof you would have a hard time to take it apart, fix it and then get it back together watertight. Not worth the ~$120 you pay for a Standard Horizon Eclipse or similar models.
I got an excellent deal when the sale and installation of non DSC SC-101 radios became illegal. Several sneaky sellers still tried to get rid of their stock after the deadline. I ordered one at a really low price, called them and told them that we have a legal problem. Got a really nice latest model Ray49 instead of the Lowrance I had ordered. Not bad for $147 incl. shipping :tape2: They really didn't like the idea of some guys sniffing through their latest sales records.
I guess I will have to do the same next year with a backup handheld.......

Last edited:

dbj1515

Cadet
If the noise is due to corrupted power distribution, perhaps a filter capacitor placed across the input power terminals may clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.