need wiring help and advice

BassMatt7257

Recruit
Thanks for the welcome into the forum. I just bought my first bas boat an I am going through and rewiring it. It's a 16ft 1989 Grumman bass boat. I can do all of the physic work but it's buying and setting up the stuff that I have now clue about. What do I need to complete the job. I need to know what gauge wire to use for: Bilge pump Aerator Lights Trim Fish finders What battery should I wire these to(I have a deep cycle and cranking). And where to I need to use fuses/breakers and busbars and what sizes.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome into the forum. I just bought my first bas boat an I am going through and rewiring it. It's a 16ft 1989 Grumman bass boat. I can do all of the physic work but it's buying and setting up the stuff that I have now clue about. What do I need to complete the job. I need to know what gauge wire to use for: Bilge pump Aerator Lights Trim Fish finders What battery should I wire these to(I have a deep cycle and cranking). And where to I need to use fuses/breakers and busbars and what sizes.

The gauge wire to use depends on what it goes to and how far. For your setup I would not bother with how far (distance) just look at the unit you going to hook up (VHF 10 amp, 14 AWG wire, Trolling motor 20-40 amps and could be 12 or 24V) and use wire, breakers or fuses accordingly. Most things will only need 14AWG, but some will need 12AWG, just look at the specs on the box.

Main feeds should be 10AWG and look below at the pic for a typical setup.
Gen Wiring Diagram.jpg