Bilge pump problem

Nitro2014

Seaman Apprentice
I have a regular bilge pump. (Not automatic) I was on the lake today and did not even use the toggle switch that controls the bilge and a flasher. Towards the end of the trip, the bilge came on and I had to disconnect the inline fuse to get it to shut off. All I normally have to do is manually flip a toggle switch to turn it on and off. However, each time I connect the circuit, the bilge will run. I have checked fuses, visually inspected wiring, toggle contacts seem good. I have a flasher that works off the same toggle switch and it works fine. Is there something I am missing here?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
if there's no other switch (like a float switch) the only possible problem I could think of is that the bilge pump switch went South and stays closed. OK, another option would be even less likely. The two wires on the back of the switch got shorted.
Are you really 100% sure that there isn't a hidden float switch? They sometimes get stuck in either the on or off position.

whats a flasher ?. How many positions does the switch have on/off or on/off/on ?. I can not see why you would have a flasher (flashing light) unless you have a 3 way switch with one side being auto. Then when the pump came on in auto it would give you a warning (flashing) to show the pump was running. If this is a bass boat check the front switch's they like to get wet and short out. If the switch is a 3 way then look for a float switch (sometime hidden under the gas tank)

You have a short to power plain and simple. It will need to be duplicated to trace. I would suspect the power source like your switch or spades behind loose and touching others. Or follow the wire loom/bundle to the rear and inspect for shorts. Could also get the old ohm meter out, disconnect both ends of power feed and start pulling wires around and see if it changes.

Nitro2014

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all of the replies! I re-checked to make sure I don't have a float switch that was hidden and I do not. To clarify, the flasher I have is an old school depth depth finder. I don't ever use it, but it does still work. The toggle switch I am referring to stays in the middle as the off position. When I flip the switch down it turns on my flasher/depth finder. Previously when I turned the switch up, it would manually turn on my bilge pump. Now, the bilge pump stays on all the time even with the switch is in the off position. I do notice that when I flip the switch up, the bilge pump does get a little louder, but still continues to run, when flipped back off. There is not much room in the back, and it is hard to tell what wire goes where due to some previous owner handy work. :). I hate to run new wires with a new pump, especially if it is a simple fix. What do you all think?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Someone did some creative wiring so why not change it and make it right? Not sure why your flasher is on that switch in the first place. Normally, a switch like that is used with a bilge pump with a float. The center position is off, one side goes directly to the bilge pump and the other side goes to a floatswitch that then drives the bilge pump.

UncleWillie

Captain
... Previously when I turned the switch up, it would manually turn on my bilge pump. Now, the bilge pump stays on all the time even with the switch is in the off position. I do notice that when I flip the switch up, the bilge pump does get a little louder, but still continues to run when flipped back off. ...

That sure sounds like the dash switch is working properly and the float switch is stuck.
The float may be internal to the pump.

What Make/Model Pump do you have?
Does it have 2 wires or 3 wires coming out of it?

Last edited:
pull the switch and remove the middle wire (tape end up). Pump should stop when battery is then turned on.
From the detail you have given you have water in the switch which is why is runs slower when the switch is turned off and faster when the switch is turned on. Plus water always settles at the bottom which affects what ever is meant to happen when the switch is pushed up.

Nitro2014

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you once again for your replies. I had a chance to try a few more things this evening, but still cannot figure this thing out! Haha. I pulled ALL the wires from the toggle switch and hooked it back up to the battery, and the pump still ran. I would like to just rewire the thing as suggested, but the wires seem to be running to other electronics. (Which are all working). I hate to start pulling wires and end up having to rewire the entire boat to get everything to work again! The pump is a Johnson 500 GPH 12 v. Model #2855. It is less than 2 years old, and is RARELY used. It has a brown and black wire. I must admit I about lost it with it the thing and even hit the pump with a hammer a couple times. Yes this is ill advised and equally unsuccessful, but it made me feel a little better. Thanks for sticking with this!

UncleWillie

Captain
... I pulled ALL the wires from the toggle switch and hooked it back up to the battery, and the pump still ran. .... It has a brown and black wire. ...

Proving it has NOTHING to do with the Dash Switch!
The BROWN wire is getting power from somewhere else.

Are you sure you do not have a Float switch? Are you sure you're sure??? ;)

what kinda of boat do you own. Your name has nitro which may indicate its a bass boat. I know my bass boat (stratos) has a manual switch at the front of the boat so I can run the bilge pump with out having to go to the drivers console. Maybe its time for some pictures. Also if its a bass boat are you sure its the bilge pump that's running as I have 3 pumps all next to each other in the rear that all sound the same.

Nitro2014

Seaman Apprentice
Alright this a little embarrassing to admit, but feel I owe it to everyone who helped me troubleshoot. Mr. Glenn was correct. I have a toggle switch on my bow as well as the driver's console. It apparently got bumped, and was in the up position. I flipped it down and the bilge shut off. It was a bittersweet moment leaving me filled with relief, yet extreme embarrassment. I apologize to everyone who left the great feedback assuming I was a lot more intelligent. I have never used that switch on the bow! I could have taken this thing to a boat mechanic who could have replaced the bilge, wiring and who knows what else leaving me with a healthy bill. Thank you all one again!

Alright this a little embarrassing to admit, but feel I owe it to everyone who helped me troubleshoot. Mr. Glenn was correct. I have a toggle switch on my bow as well as the driver's console. It apparently got bumped, and was in the up position. I flipped it down and the bilge shut off. It was a bittersweet moment leaving me filled with relief, yet extreme embarrassment. I apologize to everyone who left the great feedback assuming I was a lot more intelligent. I have never used that switch on the bow! I could have taken this thing to a boat mechanic who could have replaced the bilge, wiring and who knows what else leaving me with a healthy bill. Thank you all one again!

im just glad that you have found the problem and you are ready to go fishing and I would like to thank you for admitting the mistake so other people with the same problem can read this and save themselves the heart ache. Some posters wouldn't have had the balls to tell the truth so you have earn't my respect.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
im just glad that you have found the problem and you are ready to go fishing and I would like to thank you for admitting the mistake so other people with the same problem can read this and save themselves the heart ache. Some posters wouldn't have had the balls to tell the truth so you have earn't my respect.

+1! Every once in a while we do something we shouldn't have done........ As long as we learn out of it and don't do it again it's a good lesson learned.