Transducer questions

cdn1972

Seaman
I am not happy with my in hull transducer readings and for next season i will mount two off the back off the transom. I am using and eagle and a humminbird. the transducer for the Eagle will be a Broadview for fishing and a regular for the Hummer. How close can i safely mount these two transducers or does it matter? I do not want one to read the others signals or perhaps they do not?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
It all depends on the frequency they are operating on,........

What is wrong with the thru-hull transducer??

cdn1972

Seaman
Both transducers are glued in the factory correct spot but I find the Humminbird seems to hunt for correct depths and I want to use the broad view type on the eagle. Both are correct shoot through hull transducers so it is not that. I will check the listings for the frequency's.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The minimum distance you can mount them apart is a function of the frequencies of the two units and the max depth.

cdn1972

Seaman
Ok what does that mean? the waters i am using the boat in change quickly from shallow to about 400 feet deep and back averaging someplace in the 200's for now. Next year or years after when i get use to the boat and the water I have no idea but the max depth is probably 800 ft or so in the area i am boating.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ok what does that mean? the waters i am using the boat in change quickly from shallow to about 400 feet deep and back averaging someplace in the 200's for now. Next year or years after when i get use to the boat and the water I have no idea but the max depth is probably 800 ft or so in the area i am boating.

In order for two transducers to co-exist, they must be two completely different frequencies. A 200kHz and a 192kHz transducer are not going to be happy with one another unless the transducers are outside of each others cone angle.

The beam of 20 degree cone angle transducer in 150 ft. of water is a almost 53 feet. Unless you have a really wide boat, it's not going to happen.

Why have two machines with both transducers on the transom?

BTW: The advertised maximum deep of most recreational units is way over stated. You will not be very happy with either unit at 800'

Last edited:

cdn1972

Seaman
Well I will not be worried about 800 feet, i just told you the depth i could be in but who knows. I plan to stay for this year at least from 200-40 as it has alot of shelves and quick drops.I get now what you are talking about and the cone for both even if 20 degree cones at depth will overlap no matter where on a 20 ft boat they are placed. Guess it is what it is as far as readings