Cut the transducer cable on my Faria Depth Sounder - what type cable?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I was re-routing my shift cable and in doing so, was reaching in blind behind some fiberglass cutting zip ties when all of a sudden I accidentally cut the coax cable running between the depth sounder gauge and the transducer.
I now want to use a couple of BNC connectors to splice the break however I don't know what size coax Faria used and they haven't answered my email which I sent about a month ago.

I measured the outside diameter of the cable I have and its exactly 5mm, leading me to believe its RG-58.
Can anyone confirm so I can order the correct BCN connector?
Thanks

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
So I was re-routing my shift cable and in doing so, was reaching in blind behind some fiberglass cutting zip ties when all of a sudden I accidentally cut the coax cable running between the depth sounder gauge and the transducer.
I now want to use a couple of BNC connectors to splice the break however I don't know what size coax Faria used and they haven't answered my email which I sent about a month ago.

I measured the outside diameter of the cable I have and its exactly 5mm, leading me to believe its RG-58.
Thanks

Unable to answer but what is used to connect it to the back of the sounder?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It does disconnect at the sounder so I could purchase a new cable and transducer for about $70, but honestly I'm not interested in dropping that much to fix it. I have a garmin GPS/ fish finder which of course gives me depth so I'm covered there- I just wanted to get the sounder working again.

alldodge

Staff member
It does disconnect at the sounder so I could purchase a new cable and transducer for about $70, but honestly I'm not interested in dropping that much to fix it. I have a garmin GPS/ fish finder which of course gives me depth so I'm covered there- I just wanted to get the sounder working again.

My question was not so you could replace the transducer, it was to look at what the cable used to connect it to the back of the unit. If it was a standard BNC then you have your answer, if not, IMO a BNC should work for the frequency being used. Have a good one

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry I understand now - I'll take a closer look and see if I can match up the same style connector.
Thanks

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
You may find splicing will work or not work at all. Report back if it works...good luck

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Why would it not work?

If the system is sensitive to the cable impedance you may have a problem (reflections). With splicing you will never be able to get the impedance right. Same thing as splicing an antenna cable....
As the sounder is a pretty low frequency it most likely will work.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
If the system is sensitive to the cable impedance you may have a problem (reflections). With splicing you will never be able to get the impedance right. Same thing as splicing an antenna cable....
As the sounder is a pretty low frequency it most likely will work.

+1
It's never recommended to cut the transducer wire, it may still work, it may not work well again. Call the manf and get their recommendation on splicing... I doubt they will say go for it........

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, that's part of the problem - Faria wouldn't respond to my emails so I'm on my own it seems. I've custom made different lengths of RF antenna cable several times it the past with no issues so this should work as well.​
I picked up a PL-259 solder style connector/coupler today and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll post up my results.WP_20140721_006.jpg

Last edited:

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks

I had to rejoin mine but it was 2 core + screen not co-ax,the joint worked fine