Lowrance LMS 480 GPS not responding, is there an alternate module?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have an LMS 480 that the LGC2000 puck died on. I saw the Elite 7 on sale for a little more than the new module and just bought one of those. My brother wants to put the LMS 480 on a little fishing boat and we're wondering if anyone has put a different (cheaper) module on one or has used a GPS with NMEA 2000 output in place of the module. Some of the iFinder units have NMEA output and if there is a cable available that would work. I also see units like the Garmin GPS18 that might work if you could find a cable. My question is does anyone know of an alternate unit that will work for less than the $200 they want for a repaired puck?

Thalasso

Commander
I have an LMS 480 that the LGC2000 puck died on. I saw the Elite 7 on sale for a little more than the new module and just bought one of those. My brother wants to put the LMS 480 on a little fishing boat and we're wondering if anyone has put a different (cheaper) module on one or has used a GPS with NMEA 2000 output in place of the module. Some of the iFinder units have NMEA output and if there is a cable available that would work. I also see units like the Garmin GPS18 that might work if you could find a cable. My question is does anyone know of an alternate unit that will work for less than the $200 they want for a repaired puck?

E-Bay. $74.16. Contact him and see if thats what you need. It looks to be.Maybe call Lowrance and see what other pucks work.

Seller : beachaudio (126304

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lgc16 is the generation before the LGC2000, I need a 2000 or 3000 with some adapters or something else that is compatable. Thanks for looking Thalasso,

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks again Thalasso, I read all of that the other day, it's all interesting but it doesn't tell me of another GPS that will work with my unit for less than the new LGC puck. The Garmin looks like a small self contained GPS unit that iterfaces with PC's well but I can't tell if it will hook to the old LMS 480. I think I'll make a call to Lowrance CS and see if they'll give me a straight answer.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
The Garmin GPS18 has NMEA0183 in RS232 and you need NMEA2000 (a butchered CAN bus). Won't even work well with a regular marine NMEA0183 RS422 system (it will work but without the advantages of a balanced signal).
If your LMS480 also has an NMEA0183 input you could try it there. Wiring has to be done right....

I always use a SiRFstar IV based $35 puck with a home-made RS232 to RS422 (NMEA0183) converter for my stuff which also contains a 5V supply for the puck which gets turned on automatically when the VHF or plotter gets turned on.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
The Garmin GPS18 has NMEA0183 in RS232 and you need NMEA2000 (a butchered CAN bus). Won't even work well with a regular marine NMEA0183 RS422 system (it will work but without the advantages of a balanced signal).
If your LMS480 also has an NMEA0183 input you could try it there. Wiring has to be done right....

I always use a SiRFstar IV based $35 puck with a home-made RS232 to RS422 (NMEA0183) converter for my stuff which also contains a 5V supply for the puck which gets turned on automatically when the VHF or plotter gets turned on.

Question?
Are you saying that the NMEA2000 isn't as good as the NMEA0183? If so could you tell me why. Curious.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
nope, it's better in most aspects. What I don't like is that they butchered a well documented standard (CAN) to make one only those paying extreme fees get the specs and even then you are lost as every company can make their own extensions which they don't have to publish (or even better get approved).
It's more or less a secret "standard"....

Edit: they also eliminated some safety features which are part of the CAN standard.

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My head hurts. Thalasso can you give me a link to where I could buy the module you mentioned, and is the cable commercially available? I'm not completely unfamiliar with cable building and could put the components together if I knew what wire went to which post. Thanks a lot guys for your input, it's interesting and helpful.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, I think I found a module.

http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-3...TF8&asin=B 008200LHW&cdAnchor=B008200LHW&cdSort=best

Am I right in thinking that I could cut the pigtail off of the LGC module and if I get the wiring right I could use this module for the GPS input on the LMS480? I'm thinking one of the wires out of the back of the LMS would provide power to the GPS and the others would carry the signal back.

The Garmin 18X LVC might be easier to connect.

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I also see now that Lowrance will fix the LGC for $99, that is probably the best way to go.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Both models you "selected" won't work at all. You need a model with NMEA2000 interface and the first one has USB and the second one NMEA0138 in the single ended low voltage variant. Both are 100% INCOMPATIBLE with your application.
Your choices are: have the existing one repaired or pay the marine price for a new one.

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, Thanks for the input, we'll figure on getting the old one repaired.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What do you think of this blog? It says the 1083 signal is OK, which is what I thought too.
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]http://bradthx.blogspot.com/2013/06/lowrance-globalmap-lms-gps-antenna.html[/FONT]

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Just looked up your model and yes, it has an NMEA0183 input. Surprisingly it's even a single ended version (RS232) which is uncommon for modern marine stuff which should be differential (RS422). Unfortunately I can't find whether it's a full level or a 5V level RS232 which makes a big difference. If it's full level then the USglobalsat is one which will work. For 5V CMOS you would have to go with the Garmin one.
You will have to connect TXD from the GPS to RXD of the LMS and the GPS RXD to the TXD of the LMS. One issue may be that these modules have to be set to output the correct format at initialization and I don't know whether you can enter the required code in your LMS. Usually you only have to do that once (set the RMC mode with 1 sec repeat time) which could be done from a PC and then just disconnect it without closing.

Last edited: