Charging system in boat for Minn Kota and possibly Radio?

IFM

Recruit
Hey Everyone,

So i have a 16ft fishing boat with a 40HP outboard Force on the back, and a 50lbs thrust tolling motor on the front. Heres my question to all of you out there!
I have a battery at the rear of my boat that the engine cranks off, and i also have a battery at the front that the Fish finder and the Minn Kota run off, Now i go fishing every year way up north where we have no power but a generator that only runs for 2-3hours in the morning and 3-4 hours at night, so i dont really get a chance to charge my battery for my trolling motor and my fish finder, and eventually would like to put a stereo in,and this stuff will draw my battery right low! Just wondering how i go about getting these batteries charged up when i dont have power to hook up to ? any ways so i can charge in the boat for the whole week!?

Thanks,
IFM

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Not really sure what you are expecting... Takes power to charge a battery! The outboard is out, that will do nothing for charging. So now you have 3 options. Mains power, generator, or solar. Obviously sounds like mains power is out, so either run the generator longer with a GOOD multibank marine charger, or invest some serious coin into solar. ($1000 to $2000 depending on size that you need.)

Splat

Lieutenant
Or buy and carry a few extra sets of batteries and switch them out as needed. You could also charge your batteries from your vehicle, or build a dedicated gas powered charger out of a cheap lawnmower engine and a alternator.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Check your generator for a 12 volt charging port. If there isn't one, a standard portable battery charger can be plugged into the generator to charge the batteries. You are running it four hours at night anyway.