Wiring universal tilt to mercury control switch

Nathan R

Seaman
If this has been covered already I apologize. If not then it might become a "how to." My situation, in a nutshell, is that I purchased a boat that had damage to the rear end. It did not have a main engine when I bought it, but it did have a mercury 4 stroke kicker. (I have since bought an optimax 150 for the main motor, but that's not relevant) The kicker is mounted on a minn Kota power up universal trim and tilt. During the accident the accident, the system that they had used to trim the kicker up and down got fried. My idea is to use the mercury control switch on the shift handle for the kicker to trim the minn Kota up and down. If I have done my research correctly, the green /white and blue /white wires in the mercury harness are for the factory tilt. They are basically signal wires to activate a relay that will supply juice to the tilt motor. There are two wires that feed power to the tilt motor and you simply switch polarity on them to run up or down. If I get a couple of dual position relays and wire both of them with the normally closed side hooked to ground and the switched side to power then I should be able to use the mercury switch to signal them to open or close. Switching one side on should complete the circuit and make the tilt run. Does any of that sound right?