Lowrance LST 3800 Depth Finder -- Silencing Shallow Depth Alarm

bjlakatos

Cadet
Lowrance LST 3800 Depth Finder -- Silencing Shallow Depth Alarm
Tahoe Q7I came with this gauge. The shallow depth alarm works great. When it goes off, I silence it by pressing the MENU Key and take action accordingly. Somehow I ended up doing a factory reset on it last week and now the only way I can silence the alarm is to shut the power off. Can you guys confirm 1-does your alarm silence by pushing the MENU key? and 2- How do I get the alarm to silence without cutting power to it? I searched the forums and checked the operation manual--nothing. Thanks in advance.

bjlakatos

Cadet
Just to close on this, I contacted Lowrance and they said between the alarm not silencing and since the display seems to blink more than normal they thought it was an electronics problem. I will just order a new kit and reinstall the electronics part first then if that doesn't do it I will replace the transducer (included in the kit).

bjlakatos

Cadet
Update: I ordered a new LST3800. It came with a "Skimmer transducer" that could be mounted on the floor of the hull or outside the boat on the transom. I started to look at what I had in the boat (OEM installed a "Puck" transducer). When I started poking around on it, I noticed it was mounted with caulk and it was loose. I was able to peel the entire blob of caulk off the floor of the hull. That explains the blinking display. I got some marine epoxy and glued it back in place. I was also impressed with Tahoe as it had a location already identified for the puck transducer to be attached.

After trying again on the water, the reading on the depth finder was very constant. No more blinking display. When the alarm went off again, it still took toggling the power to clear the alarm. Next I will try to mount the new head unit on the old transducer to see if this remedies the problem.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bjlakatos, I can understand somewhat what you are dealing with. Seems depth locators/fish finders these days have more options then I know I would ever use. But they keep getting more capabilities ever year. But honestly they really haven't changed in how they arrive at those things. I'm not sure I could possible operate one of the newer models anymore...

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi bjlakatos,

I'm having issues as well with my LST-3800 on my Tahoe Q8i. Mine starts blinking if I'm going over 20mph and the depth is over 25'. If I slow down or the depth is lower than 25 feet it seems to work fine, or at least I think it does.

Where exactly is the transducer located?

bjlakatos

Cadet
Update: since I was unable to reset the shallow depth alarm I replaced the head unit (easy). The problem is solved. The old head unit (5 yrs) was the problem.

Regarding the previous post about blinking display--it is an error since the transducer is not receiving properly. In my case they mounted the transducer with silicone caulk (or something rubbery like it) and it was partially attached so depending on how much the boat was bouncing around (rough the water was or speed related) the transducer would be gently flopping around so that screwed up its ability to take an accurate reading. I epoxied it down and it registers the depth quick now.

Regarding the location of the puck transducer--mine was mounted in a small (3 in diameter) circle in the hull about 1/8 recessed from the bottom of the hull. The shape of the puck (ie, one little nub pointed to the rear) was molded into the floor along the centerline of the hull just under the rear of the engine. I pulled the batteries out on the starboard side and was able to easily get to the location.