Power Trim Installation - Wiring

Rocky Larsen

Cadet
Hi There,

I recently got a second hand 1985 outboard Evinrude motor with power trim. When purchased it did not have the relays or wiring completed on the power trim. Now that I have bought all the parts and wiring, I have attempted to do it myself.

I have followed the wiring diagram I found online which can be found at the link attached.

I have connected the positive cables from ports 87 on the relays to my kill switch which is also fused with a 40amp fuse box. I also have the red wire from the trim switch connected to the positive connection of my kill switch.

I have the ground ports and also the black wire on the power trim connected to the negative terminal on my kill switch.

Every time I click UP or Down on my trim switch I blow a fuse. I have tried to hard wire the positive wires by removing the fuse box and the relays start smoking when I click up or down. The trim does move however... Obviously I am getting too much juice somehow and the wiring is wrong.

Could you shed some light as to why or where I have gone wrong?

Cheers,

Rocky
hella trim relays up energized wiring.bmp
http://www.instructables.com

58070chevyguy

Recruit
I don't know if it will help you or not but I just redid the tilt trim on my 1984 evinrude 70 hp I gutted everything and ran the motor off of two solenoids very simple to do and put a toggle switch on my console

NYBo

Admiral
None of the power trim wiring should be connected to the kill switch. Go back to your diagram. How many wires are there going to the pump motor? Your wiring diagram will only work for a two-wire motor.

ok you have me confused ...... why have you wired anything to the kill switch...yikes.

simple connect both terminal marked 85 to dc negative
connect both relay terminals marked 87a to dc negative using a cable the same gauge as the trim motor.
connect both relay terminals marked 87 to dc positive using a cable the same gauge as the trim motor, this cable must be fused 20amp with in 6 inches of the battery
connect a wire from dc positive via a inline 5amp fuse (or fuse panel) to common on switch (middle of switch or red if its the soft touch original)
connect up (blue wire from switch) if its a toggle that's the bottom terminal if original connect to blue to relay one terminal 86
connect down (green wire from switch) if its a toggle that's the top terminal if original connect to green to relay two terminal 86
connect trim motor blue wire to relay one terminal 30
connect trim motor green wire to relay two terminal 30

the idea is the trim motor gets dc negative on both wires when the relays are not active. When one relay is activated by the switch the relay changes the output from dc negative to dc positive and the motor now has one positive and one negative so it runs. When the switch is clicked in the opposite direction then the relays are reversed so the motor runs backwards.

None of the power trim wiring should be connected to the kill switch. Go back to your diagram. How many wires are there going to the pump motor? Your wiring diagram will only work for a two-wire motor.

well pointed out. if its a old 3 wire pump then you need to tell us.