furuno 4100 fishfinder problem

Zack_McLeod

Cadet
Hi there, just bought a new Furuno ls4100 fishfinder at the boat show this year. Had it installed by a very trustworthy mechanic but once out on the water it would read unrealistic depths. For example at the dock it would read 60 ft. Then as im cruising a very deep lake it seams to be reading realistic depth but i bought this fishfinder so I wont run aground! 10ft deep is different than 60! How do you fix this problem? Basically I just want a depthsounder that will be accurate in shallow water. Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: furuno 4100 fishfinder problem

Probably not the best fish finder for your application. many older type fish finders had trouble in shallow water. Many do what your does and the digital depth is way off. Some of those models the Display is still good and display the correct depth.<br /><br />Things to try.<br /><br />1: Look at the screen when it is failing. If the whole screen looks black try turning down the sensitivy until have a normal display. Then check the Digital depth. If screen is all white then try turning the sensitivy up.<br /><br />2: For shallow it you have surface cluter turned on then turn it down or OFF.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: furuno 4100 fishfinder problem

I found that the LS6000 was rubbish in Auto mode much as you describe the 4100 is. If it is possible in the Menu take it out of Auto mode and play with the gain and Noise limits in Manual until you get the picture you want. I am not familiar with the 4100 but imagine the software would be similar.