Deep Cycle vs Gel Cell vs Optima Betteries?

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey All,<br /><br />I was just curious about the differences between thease batteries.<br /><br />I know the Optima Batteries are still Lead Acid batteries, but atleast according to the manufacturer they work better than a standard Lead Acid battery.<br /><br />Right now I have 3 betteries, on my boat, which is obviously alot of weight. I was just curious if either the Optima or Gel batteries are lighter than the 'standard' lead acid battery's? <br /><br />What's the deal with the Gel Cell's? Better, Worse? Lighter, Heavier? Bigger, smaller? I don't know too much about em..<br /><br />Thanks for the help,<br /><br />-TheChad

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deep Cycle vs Gel Cell vs Optima Betteries?

You're dealing with 3 different technologies: deep cycles are "lead-acid", Optimas are "absorbed glass mat" (AGM), gels are a witch's brew with a gelled electrolite.<br /><br />Deep cycles are the lightest, followed by AGMs, with gels heaviest. As far as cost per battery, deep cycles are cheapest, followed by AGMs, and then gels. As far as cost per amp over the life expectancy of the battery, it's gels lowest followed by AGM , and deep cycle highest.<br /><br />Here's the biggest factor, at least in my mind. Deep cycles and AGMs can be recharged by any charger, gels are extremely charge sensitive and have to be charged to exacting standards. IMO, gels are suitable for house battery banks only , and then only if the correct charger is employed and monitored closely. West Marine has a good primer on batteries on catalog pg 508; can also be located on their web site.<br /><br />The biggest danger to any battery is the owner, and it is they who kill more batteries than anything regardless of technology ... ;)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I am sure there many that swear by them but here we have seen many more say they will never buy again. If it a PWC where may turn upside down then some form of sealed battery a good idea.<br /><br />For my boat a lead acid battery is all I need. The alternator will put out the right voltage to charge the battery and so will my Smart battery chargers at home. I always run my boat with the open side up. Been useing plain old club or wallmart battery since my boat was new in 1980 and every one has lasted at least 6 years. I have a delco Voyager deep cycle that is over 8 years old I got from price club and it is still good. However it a house battery and does not have a trolling motor on it.<br /><br />If you treat your batteries right they will do the same. Do not discharge a Starting battery below 80 percent or a deep cycle below 50 percent. Recharge as soon as you can. Do not go boating over the weekend and recharge your battery on friday for the next weekend. Recharge as soon as you get home. Charge with a Smart Automatic charger of 10 amps or more. Charge once a month even durning the winter.<br /><br />If you really like to spend money then buy optima, Or AGM's but in my mind if the cheapest club or Wallmart batteries last 6 years and run every thing you need it to run then why pay more.<br /><br />Batteries killer are leaving discharged, not charging at least once a month, not checking the water once or twice a season, discharging a starting battery below 80 percent or a deep cycle below 50 percent.<br /><br />My batteries charge form My I/O 65 amp alternator thru a battery isolator, but still when you shut the motor then raise the outdirve (30 amp draw) leave the GPS and VHF on while puting gear away and tieing down the boat you have discharged the battery some. So when I get home I back it into the back yard and unhook. Hook up the battery charger, unload the gear, Put the cover on and clean the fish. By then the batteries are fully charged and ready for the next trip. On my boat I put a plug at the bow of the boat to plug in the battery charger. It charges both batteries thru a battery isolator. I can also charge from My trucks alternator when towing.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Now there's some straight up info and advice from Old Curmudgeon and Boatist thay anyone can use. Good post guys..... :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Agreed, good solid advice that is not overloaded with BS.