Guest charger, During off season

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
I have a guest 2 bank @ 10 amps. charger on my boat. <br /> My question is, Does anyone leave their charger plugged in ,and maintaining their batteries, during the off season?<br /> Or , do you just plug it in periodically, through the off season?<br /> The guest chargers are not supposed to boil/overcharge your batteries. <br /> I have a friend that plugs his (also a guest) in when season is over . And never unplugs it until spring. <br /> He has done this, for as long as I can remember. He claims to get great life, from his batteries.<br /> Is this a good idea?<br /> Or is it better to plug it in, say once a month?<br /> Thanks,<br /> KYHunter

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Guest charger, During off season

Mine is a 3 bank charger and I leave it plugged in all the time the boat is on the trailer. Never had a problem with the batteries. I pull them from inside the console every spring to make sure the fluid levels are ok. Add a little distilled water occasionally. Four years and counting on the current set.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I to use a Guest and it is plugged in all the time. No problems. I also have a Schumacher 1.5A maintainer on the engine start battery that is plugged in all the time.

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks alot guys for the replies. I just went and plugged mine back in. It will stay that way, whenever I'm not using boat. <br /> I have left it for a couple months, and everything was fine. <br /> I just wanted opinions from more, then just my buddy. I really like my guest charger. I found, what I thought was a good deal, on it last year . Under $200.00 , for a 2 bank , 10 amp. per bank . <br /> Thanks Again,<br /> KYHunter