Gas Gauge doesnt work?

NeWcS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there an ez way to try and fix my gas Gauge ? I know it could be a nuber of things but what should I try first?<br /><br />Also, Should the Gauge show how much gas if the motor isnt running? Its a 2001 75hp Merc<br /><br /><br />-Jay

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas Gauge doesnt work?

The engine has absolutely nothing to do with the gas gauge. There are three connections on the back of the gauge (four if you count the light). There is a +12 volt connection that is hot when the key is on. There is a ground connection. The third connection is the sender connection from the sender in the fuel tank. So you either have no 12V, no ground, no sender signal, a bad sender, or a bad gauge. You'll need a volt/ohm meter for testing.

studlymandingo

Commander

First thing, turn the key on. You can jump across the two connections on the sending unit. If the gauge goes to full, you have a wiring or gauge problem.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Go to this Teleflex Website and scroll down the middle section to the troubleshooting guides and to the section on fuel systems, it will show you how to measure and check to see where your problem is. Teleflex web page

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Electrics problem.