optima batts and vector charger

sonus

Seaman Apprentice
Ihave two optima batt's,One red top starting and one blue top starting/deep cycle.I use only the blue to start and run things when out, keeping the red as a back up.Charge both when I get home with a vector 2/6/10 amp smart charger.At the end of last season the charger would display a fault code at the end of charging indicating a sulfated condition for the red batt.Tried the recondition mode as per directions,no change.Took the batt to place of purchase,it load tested fine,but they gave me a new one anyway!Now the same thing is happening to the blue one.It has been in my garage for the winter,never below freezing,and I charged it a few times to keep it topped off.I charged it yesterday and got the F-3 fault code.It is now reading 12.60 on the multi-meter.I doubt anything is wrong with this battery but I will get it load tested anyway.Anyone know why I get this trouble code?Is this battery dependable?It's only a year old.I cant exchange this,lost the receipt.I doubt there is any problem anyway. I know this is wordy but I wanted all info in here.Thanks in advance for any advice or info,this is a great site that has taught me much.

TresGatos

Cadet
Re: optima batts and vector charger

sonus<br /><br />Are the batteries strong even with the F-3 code? After charging allow the batteries to rest for at least 12 hours then measure the voltage with your multimeter.. they should be around 12.8 volts (no load)...some inexpensive battery chargers don't handle AGM batteries very well...the batteries are a different animal.."maintenance" free but they are very, very sensitive to chronic under or over charging leading to sulfation and require constant monitoring during the charging phase. <br /><br />TresGatos

crab bait

Captain

hate 'um..!! <br /><br />had the exact same problems..very expensive anchor..

sonus

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the replies.Tres,I think the voltage was around 12.6.Can't check now-boat and trailer are at the summer house.I may have a chronic undercharging problem which I am trying to address(see my other post).Don't know how to "moniter" the charging;its a so-called"smart charger".Plug it in and wait till its says full.Crab bait;thanks for your reply as well-at least I feel like its not only me.Ithought I was buying top line batteries but these seem too finicky.I never have to think twice about my car battery,why the heck is this so complicated.Next season I'll go and get some regular batts. Thanks again.

badlar

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like I have the same Vector charger. I have never gotten anything but an F3 fault code anytime I have used it. I'm beginning to doubt my charger.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I recently bought and returned a so called "smart charger" and bought another simple analog version.<br /><br />It was *way* undercharging my batteries. I'd use a battery for several hours of trolling, hook it up to the charger and it would show charged and refuse to do anything. There was no way to defeat its interpretation of fully charged so I took back the $100 smart charger and bought a $30 one.<br /><br />The smart charger also had a mode to rapid charge. That worked like cr@p too and I feared it might warp the plates in the battery. I don't like the idea of it trying to charge at 20 amps.<br /><br />Now I don't trust any of them and will stick to the tried and true versions I've used for 30+ years.