Optima Marine Batteries...Your Opinion

NoWorries

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a used boat this past fall, and it came with an Optima Marine battery. I've not had any problems with this battery at all. We've run the radio for quite a while while swimming and such, and it still cranks over my BB just fine. <br /><br />I want to install another battery and selector switch and was wondering if the Optima line was worth the money. The battery I have costs $179.00 at a couple of places I've looked. Is Optima worth that much? Are they really that great of a battery? Would any other good grade of marine battery be just as good?

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Optima Marine Batteries...Your Opinion

Folks that have Optima batts usually like them a lot. In the grand scheme of batteries, all of the spiral wound batts (Optima, Orbit, others) come out on the bottom when you consider the value. I’m a big fan of the newer, sealed, maintenance free AGM batts. Like Optimas, not cheap, but better mileage for the dollar, much more forgiving of the charging profile.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm on my second optima in little more than a year. I went out to start the boat one day and the battery was dead shorted to ground. I call the dealer and he told me to bring it in and get a new one for free as it was covered under a 3 year warranty. Ok, this is good, I can live with that. .When I got there the guy just smiles and tells me to just set it over there with all the other ones and pointed to a big pile of dead Optima’s sitting in the corner <br /><br />Needless to say I’m not impressed with this battery except for the warranty policy. Unless this Optima lives a whole lot longer than the 3 years I normally get out of a battery I’m going back to my $79 Exide Marine batteries of old..

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

im sorry you had trouble with your batt.cause ive had them in race cars and boats they lasted for 4 yrs or better. that bites to see a good batt.manafucter get that bad rap.but i think they are worth that kind of money but that price sounds a little high.i know they make 3 diff.kinds of blue top batt.one is cheaper than the other.i bought 1 last year i dont think i paid 179.00 for but i will check

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

A Trojan with 225 reserve minutes costs about half that. They're heavier though. I know a guy who got seven years out of one but I doubt that's the norm.<br /><br />spots