'95 suzuki 200 hp trim problem

DonQ

Cadet
My 200hp will trim up but not down either from the helm or the motor switch. I can lower by releasing the air bleed. Would appreciate help with the proper procedure to diagnos and repair.<br />Thank You

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: '95 suzuki 200 hp trim problem

I'm not familiar with the electrics on that engine but if there are two relays (one for up and one for down) check the numbers on them. If they are the same, swap them and see if down now works but up doesn't. If the problem follows the relay swap, replace the down relay. Make sure all contacts are clean and corrosion free before doing so. Sometimes just removing and reinserting them brings them back to life. Listen carefully while you run the up and down trim button. If you hear a slight click when you activate the down trim, current is getting to the relay. Its probably not the motor since it works in the up direction. However it might be in the wiring to the motor or the down position of the trim switch is bad. A voltmeter or test light and a schematic is obviously necessary to troubleshoot this problem.

jaybirdtx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Upinsmoke is correct. Try swapping relays. If the problem follows, replace relay.

DonQ

Cadet

Thanks for the advice...I'll be working on it this weekend<br />Regards