SIRIUS Radio Antenna

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone use (with success) an automotive type SIRIUS antenna on top of a fiberglass boat? A local dealer says thet you MUST use the SIRIUS Marine antenna the costs more than I paid for the entire system...

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer
Re: SIRIUS Radio Antenna

Yes it will work, getting the antenna to stay where you want it is the problem tape, Velcro or glue can work if it has to be affixed to fiberglass, it depends on what kind of boat, there are all kinds of different spots for an antenna sitting on the dash is a good one or even inside your cuddy could work.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on the antenna usage, if this antenna is a vhf mobile antenna normally used land mobile, the design may be such that the metalic body of the vehicle becomes the ground plane,adding to the performance of the antenna.Normally 1/2 wave antennas are not ground plane reliant and can opperate on non metalic surfaces.Unfortunately in this case I think the dealer is right.I tried to mount a Araki antenna on my boat without much success,I eventually purchased a marine antenna, some boat owners have mounted vhf antennas on ski structures ,(towers)as the metalic structures become the ground plane.As far as Sirius Antennas,I find them to be excellent, I use them at home on my amateur radio station as well as land and marine mobile,I always say" What is a life worth "A few of extra Rand (Dollars) for a decent antenna, so as to ensure reliable comuniciations",YES DEFINTELY WORTH IT!!!!

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this particullar antenna is a satellite receive antenna, All I can say is speak to other users of this antenna or refer to the agents advice, Out here in South Africa the Sirius antenna is a popular mobile antenna,there is nothing more frustrating than a lousy antenna, can you not fabricate a staunless steel bracket to mount this antenna or do you want to remove the antenna at the end of the day, then velcro seems a good option barring vibration. how about glass sheet suction cup holders, you know the ones with the little levers which let you release the suction, I am sure they will hold anything to a smooth fiberglass boat, kind regards William Wright.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

The stock antenna that came with your Sirius satellite unit will work fine in or on your boat it's just a matter of mounting it in a stable spot.<br />My antenna sits on the dash of my boat. My brothers antenna is inside his cuddy and works great.<br />Don't waste your money on another over priced antena which you do not need.