Engine Hatch Lift

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a 12v hatch lift from a liquidator and am wondering how to wire it. The only thing I can find on the unit is the following: CALA C42A , W332-241. It has two wires. One is blue and the other is brown. Can some one tell me how to wire this?<br /> Thanks for any help. :confused:

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine Hatch Lift

Hard to imagine a two wire connection for a 12v lift to be anything but the power lines. What is puzzling is the color of the wires.<br /><br />Are they heavy guage wires?<br /><br />Amir

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:) Thanks for the reply.<br /> The wires are both 14ga. I kinda figured one for up , one for down on power. I am puzzled about the ground though. One end of the lift is plastic on the mount , and the other is plastic with a steel sleeve over it.(The Rod part of the lift)<br /> Do you think it is setup to ground off of the steel sleeve? Or what are your thoughts on the dang thing?<br /> Thanks again for the help.

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I must say that I have no experience with such devices other than seeing them on some boats :) . With that said, is there an electronics control box of any sort? Or is this just a couple of wires going to a motor assembly?<br /><br />It is possible that this came with a controller that you did not get. The controller would reverse the polarity of the power to the motor using the same two wires to make it go the other direction. And what's more, it may have had overload protection to automatically stop the motor when it shuts or fully opens. Without it, you may damage the transmission inside the thing (assume it has some kind of gear system). And of course, you could trap someone's hand, foot, etc. This also explains why the colors are what they are (instead of black, red, etc.).<br /><br />Here is what I would do. Without load, the unit should not require much power. I would go get a 5 to 10 amp 12v power supply from Radio Shack or wherever (a non-smart battery charger may do also that is rated at this much current). Hook up the ground to one of the wires. And then touch the other wire to the other lead for a second or so and see what happens. If it operates, then reverse the wires and do this one more time and see if it goes in the other direction. If this goes right, then you know that these are indeed the power lines.<br /><br />Of course, the above could damage the unit in the process (especially if it has a built-in controller and you have the polarity wrong) but if you do not keep the wires connected for long, the chances of that happening is low.<br /><br />The other thing you can do, is get an ohm meter and see what resistance you get from ground to each wire. If you get nothing or very high value (in mega ohms), either the chasis is not ground or you have an internal controller. Also check the resistance between the wires. If you get something really high (kilo ohms or higher), then they are not going directly to the motor and I would not try the above experiment.<br /><br />Sorry I can't help you more specifically. Kind of difficult to figure these things out in person let alone remotely :) .<br /><br />Report back with what you find and maybe we can figure this thing out...<br /><br />Amir

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:D <br /> Got it figured out. You were right reverse polarity on the wires for in or out on the lift. <br /> Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I sure didn't want to burn it up before it was even installed.<br /> Thanks a million! :D :D

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wonderful. Glad it worked out!<br /><br />Amir

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:( <br /> New problem. I can't figure out how to wire the lift so as to reverse polarity thru the switch. Is a relay of some sort needed for this install or am I missing something all together?<br /> Any place I might get a wire diagram from?<br /> Thanks :confused:

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

What you will want is a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch, either toggle or rocker. It should be a mom off mom, meaning it's only active as long as you are holding it otherwise it springs back to the middle or off position. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words so please look at this link at figure 1 for the wiring of the switch, the vs is the +12v and the 0s is your ground, this will reverse the polarity to the motor depending which way you activate the switch. Wiring DPDT Switch

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought you would have that problem but figured you already knew how to solve it :) .<br /><br />You can get as fancy as you like in this area. The simplest method is a Double-Pole, Double-Throw switch. Here is a nice diagram of how to turn this into a reversing switch for Motor Control: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm <br /><br />Note that you need to get a switch that is rated for the full current rating of the motor plus a good safety margin. Otherwise, it will self destruct in short order.<br /><br />Fancier system would be with a momentary switch. Here is a good schematic: http://www.uashem.com/pageid-150.html. Probably more than you want to get into. So here is one already built for less than $80: http://texasindustrialelectric.com/relays_24450.asp. <br /><br />BTW, with all of this, you still have the problem I mentioned above. Namely, as soon as the hatch closes, it will stop the motor, causing immense amount of current going through its windings. If don't have a circuit breaker to protect it, the motor will self destruct. If you do have a breaker, it will pop.<br /><br />Unfortunately, a controller that senses the current going through the motor and shuts it off is beyond simple instructions that I can give here. However, it could be adopted only to the push-button circuit above. Basically, you would put a small resistor inline with the motor and use the voltage created across it as the shut off mechanism (probably way more than you wanted to know :) ).<br /><br />Let me know if you want the protection circuit above and I will see if I can research it more and find a ready made solution.<br /><br />Finally, others may make the solenoid above. I found that source through web search....<br /><br />Amir

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are awesome!!<br /> Thank you so much for making my life easier!<br /> I do have a regular hatch switch that I got off Evilbay. The wires on the motor both have some sort off resistor or something on them. I'll try to get ya a pic tomarrow.<br /> Thanks again so much for all the help guys. That is what makes this site so neat for us backyard wrenchers. :D :D

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by amir:<br /> BTW, with all of this, you still have the problem I mentioned above. Namely, as soon as the hatch closes, it will stop the motor, causing immense amount of current going through its windings.
Solved with a simple switch and relay setup. Btw, if configuring the cover’s switch in series with the directional control switch, your control switch can be much smaller, sized for the relay’s triggering demand and not the motor’s demand. There are a lot of good bargains on relays on Ebay. I just got a new 24vdc, 120vac/30amp marine-grade relay for $5. MSRP is about $120.<br /><br />If you decide to go for a relay, they come in two flavors; NO (normally open) the contacts are open/no current when there is no triggering voltage, and NC (normally closed) the contacts are closed/current is flowing when there is no triggering voltage. You want a NO relay.

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree a switch and rely is a cheap shutf off solution. But I worry about pinching people's hands, neck (children looking down the hatch) or feet if they are not directly over the switch. I suspect this is a powerful motor and the consquences would not be pretty. That's why I was thinking about a current sensing solution.<br /><br />Do commercial hatch systems for boats use the simple shut off switch? Or the more elaborate controller that I am talking about?<br /><br />Amir

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's rated to lift 75lbs. I am having a hard time finding much info on the lifts , wiring or anything. I thought I'd give it a try with a relay.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is what is on my boat. Seems like this type of switch would work. The ram is mounted so that when the hatch is fully down it is at the end of the ram's travel.<br /> Eddie Marine Hatch Wiring

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Quietcat. That diagram shows no automatic shut off mechanism. Looks like it relies on the user user shutting the thing down when it hits one end or the other. It is possible that it has an embedded controller though (given the color of the wires). What does it do when it hits the end and you keep it on? I suspect the unit RangerVIP has doesn't have a controller.<br /><br />Amir

chapparal

Recruit

im having same problem, i have a engine hatch lift as well but my wires are yellow and red, and to hook them directly to a power source the unit raises and hook the wires opposite and it lowers, but im maybe not as wiring savey as the last fellow, i didnt quite understand the wiring diagram and do i need relays to succesfully make it work. i have a factory mounted dpdt switch and along the side of boat out of sight there is a thermo circuit breaker rated at like 8 amps

there is factory wiring here and well best i can tell no power to them and no noticable disconnected wires that would need to be hooked up. Confused Lost and aggrevated. BOAT = B= BOAT O= OUT A= ANOTHER T= THOUSAND,

LOL CAN ANYONE HELP. THANKS EMAIL IS STEVEHLLSBR@AOL.COM AND I HAVE THE SAME QUESTIONED ASKED ON THE TRHEAD.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Chapparel

Normally, it is a lot easier, better to start a new thread than pulling up a thread from 4 years ago. You can say you have the same problem and can reference the old thread, but when you pull up really old threads, people will get emails and not understand why.

When you start your own thread, you can give a better description of your own situation, what you have installed, what is working or nto working, i.e. did your current actuator burn out and you bought a new one? or did the unit stop working and you don't understand how to fix it?

basically...

You don't need relays for the operation of the actuators. if your breaker is 8 amps, the switch will handle it fine. the only reason for the relays is to help you run higher amps.

if the actuator has 2 wires, then use the link above (re-linked here)

the two wires coming off of the actuator are the "M" in the picture.

If you do not have any power, then your wires at B & E, need to be connected to the battery's + and - some how.

If all that gets figured out and the lift now works, but in the wrong way, either switch B & E, or A & D.

bellski

Recruit
87 formula f223ls.... new to boating and this forum. .. listed my hatch today held the hutton down a bit to long and started making a loud ticking noise, now it will not work at all... I pulled the pin took the pole out and it works when not hooked up... any suggestions