powerwinch model#712-c

cbldog4u

Cadet
howdy, i bought a boat and the trailer has this winch on it. does anyone know how to wire it up to my truck? guage of wire, fuse amp,ect.<br />thanks for your time :confused:

Omega-1

Seaman
Re: powerwinch model#712-c

Cbldog4u,<br />From my prior experience with power winches here are some points you need to consider:<br />1. Power directly to the battery<br />2. Run a #8 wire from the + pole of the battery to the back of your vehicle to terminate in a 30amp rated plug apparatus. You can install a 30 amp in line fuse or breaker at a convenient place on this line.<br />3. Ground the plug directly to the battery or to the frame using #8 or #10 wire. Be sure that you have a clean spot with direct metal contact to the frame and screw it in place, then cover with sealant material to prevent corrosion interference with your ground.<br />4. Secure the female plug to the vehicle under frame or bumper metal, make sure it has a cover gate on it. <br />5. Run a #8 or #10 wire from the power winch motor to the male plug. <br /><br />Look at the specs on the motor plate, if it is rated 12V at 25amps full draw, then use a 25 amp in-line fuse or breaker. <br /><br />Be sure to install the power plug at the rear of your vehicle above the water line when you back your vehicle down to the water on the boat ramp. Submerging it will trip your fuse or breaker and corrode your terminals.<br /><br />Make sure all your electrical connections are corrosion protected. Any corrosion developing on your connections in the future will cause a lower power availability to your winch motor and it will run inefficiently, perhaps become overheated and fail on you.<br /><br />Good luck, be safe!