Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot

Chuck2557

Cadet
I had a Raymarine ST6001 autpilot installed on my boat last season an had repeated problems with it holding a course. At trolling speed for the most part, the boat would hold it's course. But on occaision at trolling speed, after a few minutes the boat would turn hard to starboard. At cruise speed (3500-4000 rpm) The boat would almost always after a few minutes on autopilot turn hard to starboard with one occaision throwing a passenger over the side. Does anyone know what the problem is what the fix is???

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot

I had one and never saw this problem. It would however do this occasionally on activation. <br /><br />I would double-check the heading sensor and compass wiring to make sure nothing is loose. Is your gyro sensor installed at the center of the rotation?<br /><br />Amir

Recruit
Re: Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot

Mine had this problem and I sent it back to Ray Marine. They updated the software. I also have had many problems with mine. For one thing, it has to be in sailboat mode to work correctly. My latest problem was the linear drive broke while I was under way. Luckally I wasn't far from the helm. I coundn't believe how much faith Raymarine put in the plastic tube that drives the outdrives. TO TOP THAT THEY WON'T COVER IT UNDER WARRANTY AND NOW WANT ME TO PAY $650 FOR ANOTHER ONE THAT IS BUILT EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.