Connecting Cobra DSC VHF to Navman 5500 Plotter

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi<br /><br />I connected up these 2 items as it states in the manual. I connected the red wire of the GPS cable from the radio to the white interface wire of the Navman plotter and then connected the black wire from the radio on to my negative bus bar at my switch panel.<br /><br />When I get a fix on the GPS, my radio stays at the default Lat and Long of all 9's.<br /><br />It says in the Cobra manual that the DGPS facility won't work until the unique code is added. Does this mean that no GPS data will show on the radio display either?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Andy

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Connecting Cobra DSC VHF to Navman 5500 Plotter

I am not sure as I do have not a radio with this feature. Since the code is free go ahead and get it.<br /><br />Most time when you hook two devices together you need to connect a signal ground and the data wire. Make sure you have the right data pin on each unit. Some times you can use the power ground as you have done but many units still need the signal ground connected between units. Try running a singal ground from the interface ground pin on the radio to the interface ground pin on your gps.<br /><br />Also within the units does the interface need to be turned on in one or both units?<br /><br />I would call both your radio support and your GPS support line. They whould be able to help. One other thing are they both useing the same spec interface type? Todays standard is NMEA 2000, the older standard was NMEA 1983 I think.<br /><br />These are just thing to ask about and double check.<br /><br />When you figure it all out hope you will come back and report your fix. <br /><br />Good Luck