GPS antenna for laptop (notebook)

pcs9119

Cadet
I would like to know what GPS antenna people are using to interface with their laptop computers and navigation software. <br /><br />Need something to be compatable with my charting program (Chartview) which requires NMEA 0183 protocol.<br /><br />If you can, would appreciate make, model, and where you purchased.<br />Thanks!!!<br /><br />Pete<br />22' C-Dory

18rabbit

Captain
Re: GPS antenna for laptop (notebook)

Pete - you need to decide on what you want to do. You can get an active GPS antenna where the basic GPS processing is done inside the mushroom shaped head, and the antenna outputs NMEA. Or do you want a passive GPS antenna that feeds a black box next to your charting station, and the black box outputs NMEA? Or do you want to plug that passive antenna into a GPS card in your laptop? Or do you want something as simple as an inexpensive handheld GPS with NMEA interface?<br /><br />Btw, almost all marine electronics will communicate by way of the NMEA 0183 protocol. So finding a solution probably isn't going to be as difficult as deciding what configuration you want.<br /><br /> :)

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They sell one on the MapTech site for around $50. If you have a hand-held GPS you can use that plugged into your serial port.

Tolly family

Seaman Apprentice

I bought one from Captain Jacks that looks like a hockey puck and plugs into the usb port, I put in the window and it works perfect. It's the same one they sell for car maps but the software is different for the marine charting.<br /><br />Dan