Navman 2100 gauge vertical installation anyone?

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in need of a fuel flow meter on my twin 350 Formula. I like Navman 2100. I will get 2 units and set it up to read one unit per engine (as it is designed for single engine setup).<br />Here is where I see a problem. Instrument panel is full of gauges. The only place I think I could use is behind the throttle and shift controls. <br />This means that I would have to mount the fuel flow gauge in vertical position. Has anyone done it this way? Any possible drawbacks to this? Thanks!

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Navman 2100 gauge vertical installation anyone?

Hi,<br />The instrument itself can me mounted in any position - it is all digital and there is no fuel house passing trough the instrument. There is en electrical wire from fuel flow sender to the instrument.<br />The flow sender use an infrared beam to count the revolutions of the turbine blades as they spin which then sends a pulse signal to the computer/instrument (see Navman FAQ on Fuel computers).<br />See the Navman Manuals available in PDF on their homepage for additional mounting requiremnets, for example:<br /><br />"Choose a location for the display unit that:<br />- is easily seen and protected from damage<br />- is at least 100 mm (4") from a compass<br />and at least 500 mm (19.5") from a radio or radar antenna <br />- is away from engines, fluorescent lights, power inverters and radio or radar transmitters<br />- is accessible from the back; a minimum clearance of 50 mm (2") is required at the back (see mounting diagram) <br />- protects the back of the unit from moisture and water."<br /><br /><br />It is the fuel flow sender (flow meter) that is mounted on the fuel line that should be mounted vertical to avoid air in the fuel adhering to the turbine blades, which effects accuracy.<br /><br />I have the Navman 3100 (suitable for gas singel engine or dual engines, inboard or outboard). I use it with my Yamaha F115.<br /><br />Make sure You meet the system requirements for using a Navman Fuel 2100. Read on Navman homepage and in the Manual You can download in PDF from Navman homepage.<br /><br />Do You have one or two tank(s)?<br />If You have one tank only but two instruments - how will you know fuel used and fuel remaining without doing some manual calculation?<br />Why not get the Fuel 3100 instead? One instrument for dual engines (and singel or dual tanks). Check the Navman Fuel 3100 manual on Navman homepage.<br /><br />Remember to calibrate the Navman instrument with a known exact amount of fuel so it will be accurate.<br /><br />My installation of the Fuel 3100 (the lower of the two large instruments to the right, the upper instrument is a Navman Depth 3100 instrument):<br /><br />
5820.jpg

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bo, <br />Thanks for your reply. I do have 2 gas tanks. I figured that two 2100 units will cost less then one 3100. Mounting gauges facing up could will cause water to constantly get on the gauge (rain water or as I wash the boat). Could it go bad as a result? Manual says: "Front will withstand direct spray".

Dunaruna

Admiral

The front facia is totally waterproof although over time the seals will deteriorate. <br /><br />If it was me, I'd try and find a more protected area to mount it.<br /><br />Nice boat Bo.<br /><br />Aldo

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no space on the instrument panel
Boat_1.jpg
<br /><br />See what I mean :confused:

Dunaruna

Admiral

Picture didn't work. E-mail it to me and I'll post if you like.<br /><br />aldek@(REMOVEFORSPAM)nex.net.au<br /><br />Aldo

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

My appologies. Let me try this:<br />
Formula_helm.jpg

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dunaruna, <br />Thanks a lot for picture posting offer.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Pic's a bit blurry but I can see three areas that might accomodate your 2100, just left or right of your steering column and in front of the passenger next to the stereo.<br /><br />Aldo

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Left and right from steering column are 2 trim gauges. In front of passenger seat - extra effort to monitor fuel gauges.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Left and right from steering column are 2 trim gauges. In front of passenger seat - extra effort to monitor fuel gauges.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try to mount it in the side of the hull, to the right of captain's seat. That way You can take glance at the instrument(s) when needed just by turning your head 90 deg to the right. You should not have your eyes on the instruments that much while cruising anyway - you should look what is happening around Your boat instead most of the time.

smthsaln

Cadet

A quick question for all you smart folks, I was thinking of getting a Navman GPS before the rebate ended the end of next month, will the fuel flow option work with my 1999 5.7 EFI? Sounds like it would pay for itself in fuel savings. Graci!

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not sure most people get their money back given the high prices for these, especially for dual engine. I also hear that the flow sensor dies after a few years.<br /><br />Anyway, I got the Lowrance catalog today and they seem to have a rather low cost unit. It is NEMA2000 compatible and the single sensor unit is just 149. You can add a second sensor for just $49. This is for the 2-1/8" digital display. They have a 3-3/8" read out that is only $50 more. Anyone use these?<br /><br />Amir