LED Bow Lights????

danstroup284

Cadet
I am getting ready to mount a electric trolling motor to the bow of my 1989 Celebrity 181. Although the mount "shouldn't" be a problem with the top mount bow light, I am thinking of re-doing it. Has anyone made a set of bow lights using LEDs? I figure 4 or 5 of each color would be pretty visible and would be some what out of the way. I haven't been able to find a rig like this on the net. I was thinking of drilling straight into the oper deck and sealing them. Any thoughts?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: LED Bow Lights????

LED bow lights and red and green seperate bow light are out there.<br />I have not looked here but Bass Pro or Cabela's had them. <br />Likely also here on IBoats. They are kind of high priced but use very little power. <br />Before you build you own know that they must meat Regulstions for point of visibility and intensity.<br />Too wide or too narrow a arc will cause them to not be legal. <br />They are a important Night time saftey iteam.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I bought some red and green LED lights that would fit into a 1156 socket. I broke off all the plastic stuff and the base. This left me with a round disc with about 11 LEDS on it. I then soldered the existing wires of the boat to the appropriate wires on the LED disc/circuit board. Then I mounted them inside the light fixture.<br /><br />At night they are brighter than the original bulbs. During last years safety inspection they passed. However I didn't point out to the inspectors that they were LED type lights. This will be the 3rd season on them and still no problems. I just wished I had a 360 light made with them.<br /><br />Good Luck

18rabbit

Captain

Dan – welcome to the board. :) <br /><br />The red and green and white navigation lights on a vessel (boat or airplane) must meet specification for visibility. Range (brightness) is one spec, and angle of view is another.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Intesity might be a problem.Some of the newer type (luxeon star) are very bright, but require a specific voltage. I use them in my cabin, trailer and all my flashlights. Before you buy them you may to check to make sure they meet requirments. The cheap ones are coming down in price, but don't put out much light.<br /><br /> Jim

Realgun

Commander

I just wished I had a 360 light made with them.<br />
1 <br />Your wish granted. :) <br /> 2 <br /><br />And that all I found.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

DOH! Realgun, thanks, Sure wished they were a bit cheaper. (Can you help with that?) :p Jus Kiddin.<br /><br />Still those won't do me any good. I need the ones that have two circuits. 220* looking forward and 140* looking aft. My boat doesn't have bow lights, mine are on each front conner of the fly bridge. Probably that is why my 360* is split up. Thanks....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sea Six, those are like mine. In the photo of them, you can see that the LEDs are on a round disc shaped circuit board. That is what I installed on my boat a couple of years ago. Cost me under $40 to convert them. Of course there is questions on if they are bright enough. I know mine will reflect light off objects about 50 to 100' away. Better than when they had the regular bulbs in them.<br /><br />Sorry Dan, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.<br /><br /> :)