Can I cut GPS antenna cable ext???

tprice

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of installing my GPS antenna/receiver on my ttop. I have run into a problem in that the fitting on the extension will not fit through the rigging tube on my ttop due to other wires already there.<br /><br />My question is can I cut this and run it through and then splice it back together or will this screw up my receptioin. <br /><br />My other option is to run it out from the console and use zip ties to strap it to the external tubing on the top and run it up that way which I prefer not to do for asthetic reasons?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I cut GPS antenna cable ext???

Though a trained person can splice coax pretty well, I wouldn't try that, tprice.<br /><br />I think I would drill another hole beside the existing one and run the fitting through that, with a grommet to seal it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

juneau

Cadet

I did mine. It was lots of little wires. I was told it couldn't be done. Well, I did it. It worked fine for almost a month, but after some rough seas, it went out. I bought a new antenna. It is now sitting on the dash and works from there, but I will eventually put it through the arch and roof without cutting it somehow.

18rabbit

Captain

Of course you can splice the cable. I would cut it near the connector that feeds into the GPS display. Fwiw, not all GPS antennas come with connectors installed. Some ship with bare wires at the display end so you can attach the connector appropriate for your display. Depending on how ‘smart’ the antenna is you may have several (maybe 7) wires as Juneau points out. If you can get a replacement connector/plug for your GPS display that is the way to do it. Otherwise you will be making a splice. If splicing, I suggest soldering the conductors and using adhesive-lined heat shrink (see the 3M product called EPS-300). Also, you can take this opportunity to shorten the antenna cable if you need to.<br /><br />Offset the splices:<br /><br />--------[splice]--------------------------<br />---------------------[splice]-------------<br />--------[splice]--------------------------<br />---------------------[splice]-------------<br /><br />Use a larger diameter of adhesive-lined heat shrink to enclose the whole spliced area. That 3M product has a 3-to-1 shrink ratio. :) <br /><br /><br />If you have a ‘dumb’ GPS antenna, you will be cutting a single coax cable as JB mentioned. I wouldn’t splice it. I would just cut off the old connector, route the antenna cable, cut off the excess cable, then install a new coax connector. Installing a coax connector is really easy. It is important to be sure you make a good connection with the internal shielding conductor. The shielding conductor is probably aluminum foil wrapped around the dielectric (foam-like insulator). Or it could be braided wire, or both foil and braid if it is high quality coax. Whatever coax connector you use (crimp or compression), I suggest putting a piece of that adhesive-lined heat shrink over the cable and new connector to make a water-tight seal.<br /><br />Good luck. :)