Garmin or Magellan? Comments please.

Dunaruna

Admiral
A friend of mine wants to buy a handheld mapping GPS. His budget is tight, he is left with two choices. The Magellan eXplorist 200 or the Garmin eTrex Vista. Both look like good units but I would appreciate your input. Thanks.<br /><br />His budget won't stretch so anything even slightly more expensive is not in the running.<br /><br />Aldo

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Garmin or Magellan? Comments please.

Magellans may be a good unit.<br /><br />Garmin is a very good unit, has the best customer support in the world, and has a great variety of firmware.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks JB. Are you familiar with the Vista? Its new to us.<br /><br />Aldo

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My first handheld was a Magellan, but if I had to do it over again I would have gone Garmin.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The Vista's have really small screens. If he does not wear glasses may be ok, but if he wears glasses may be a waste of money. I know I would never buy one. Driving in the car just to small to see.

MTFishGuy

Cadet

We use Garmins at work, forestry-related. They make a tough/good GPS, although we use Etrexs (which have less bells and whistle than the Vista's and can be bought for less than $100). We had a Magellan too, when we first started using GPS, and it was accurate but a little less user-friendly. <br /><br />One bit of advice, the software and hardware is not compatable. If you go Garmin, stay Garmin. Your Magellan stuff won't work with a Garmin. <br /><br />O/W, 1 GPS unit is pretty much the same. All they do is triangulate signals from satellites in near-earth orbit. Everything else is extra.<br /><br />Tips: Get a unit that uses AAs, not AAAs. Cheaper to buy AAs and they last longer. Get a unit that can download to a PC via a PC interface cable if you want to download or upload info, O/W you are dead in the water. The Etrexs have these features, but not some of the GEKOs (for example).

Dunaruna

Admiral

The magellan uses Navionics and the Garman uses Bluechart, both systems are readily available here and about the same price. I think his choice comes down to screen size. The extra bells and whistles on the garmin make it a little bit more user unfriendly IMO. Both have cigarette lighter socket connections. <br /><br />But its not my choice to make, I'll pass on your comments. Thanks.<br /><br />Aldo

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used a vista (free of charge while my e-trex was being repaired) and I quite liked it, I found it very user freindly. I like the garmen 1 handed operation :) . I am not however familliar with the magellan unit.<br />regards, Jon