Minnkota auto pilot controller problem

scottnjay

Seaman Apprentice
I have a minnkota 24v troller with autopilot. I seem to have trouble getting it to work all the time. There is also a large delay (5 seconds)and I have to have it set to a higher speed (5+) to work with the controller for the prop to turn. Once it starts I can turn it down a little. Is this normal. The autopilot won't work at all. It just sits and twists back and forth, but the prop won't turn. Is this a possible bad battery connection? When I bought it the previous owner had just stripped the wire and sandwiched it between two washers on the battery. I have added ends (crimped), but I am wondering if I go thru the whole thing and solder everything if that will help. Or does it sound like a controller problem. I appreciate any help you can provide.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minnkota auto pilot controller problem

My Minn Kota Riptide w/ AP is at the dealer right now per similar problems. They said something about a faulty circuit board that needed to be ordered from the manufacturer.<br /><br />When I press the AP button it started steering in all directions without locking onto the heading you set it for. It nearly knocked me off the bow of my boat the last time out. Other than that I love the motor. I plan on adding the co-pilot this season so that I can operate the trolling motor from the back of my boat.