Last Call 4 ICOM 302/402 users input!

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, I suppose that for all of ICOM's reputation that not many people are actually using these models. I need a new VHF this week and really would like to get an ICOM but with the terrible reviews I seen.... and no rebuttals from ICOM owners I have no choice but to purchase something else. If you use this model, please give me some feedback. Thanks.

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Last Call 4 ICOM 302/402 users input!

Gil – ICOM has one of the more solid reputations in marine electronics for their VHF radios. You don’t get that by making crap. I have one experience with their service department regarding a discontinued GPS that needed firmware updating and it went better than I could have imagined. I also have an ICOM 602 for my primary VHF, never an issue. It is possible that if you did get an ICOM you may find yourself looking for problems. You might be happier with a different brand. Standard Horizons also has a strong reputation. Either of those two VHF manufactures and you can’t go wrong. There are other good units out there but they impress me as not as robust as ICOM or Std Horiz, but they may be a good fit for you if you aren’t hard on your equipment. I am. My backup VHF is a Std Horiz. Simrad has good stuff, too. I am partial to Simrad’s high quality of marine electronics but I chose an ICOM because I don’t think you can get a better out-of-the-box VHF for recreational use.<br /><br />Good luck! Please let us know what VHF you decide on.

Stumpknocker

Actually I take into account a manufacturers reputation first, then consumer reviews. If the reputation is justified then the reviews might indicate a specific product that needs upgrading. Few companies can boast of a 100% product satisfaction because they have a good reputation. Even Bose has its failures. This model specifically has been singled out as having the exact same problems with several individuals that spoke out over a two year period and the company would not back up the product from what I read. It is indeed a basis for concern. I am tempted to purchase the radio anyway and if it transmits ok... its fine with me. If it doesn't... I'm screwed out of a couple hundred bucks. Was hoping that someone actually used one here and there. It appears to be the larger models are more popular and or the boats bigger. I need a small footprint. So we shall c.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Agreed.. Icom or Standard..<br /><br />I have a Standard Eclipse.. It's about 2 years old now.. Pulls good signal, and broadcasts good...(8' antenna on the t-top helps) Only gripe is the speaker could be louder..<br /><br />Now, Icom gps's bite! :p sorry Rabbit..

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Gil<br />I agree ICOM has a Great Reptation. The old M127 was the best VHF ever maid. The new Breed are just that, NEW.<br /><br />I would call or write ICOM support and tell them about reviews you have read from different sources, and then ask them what they have done to fix the problem. Several of the new ICOM have received top pick from some of the power boat mags.<br /><br />Buy it from a source know for acepting returns like West Marine but expect to pay more.<br /><br />I do not have any ICOM Marine gear but do have several Ham 2 meter rigs that work perfect.<br /><br />My Main VHF marine radio is a Standard Omni and it has been very good. Only problem is very small speaker, so I hooked up a 6 inch to the speaker Jack. Since I purchased it I have many times wished I had spent the extra $ for the ICOM M127. Of course both my radio and the old ICOM are outdated now as neither has DSC.

Stumpknocker

Thanks, Boatist. Any and all input appreciated. I have toyed with the thought of asking West Marine if they would allow a return if not satisfied..... trouble is they don't stock the 402S. Hate to pay for the 402 and never use the extra mike connection. Probably will anyway. Grrr.

BillP

Captain

Even highly regarded mfgs have problem models. I wouldn't buy one that has a known problem no matter what the mfg rep. I'm in the market to replace an old obsolete Standard vhf soon and an ICOM 402 certainly won't be on my short list. Why bother?

Stumpknocker

BillP, just had my mind made up until the reviews surfaced.... you are correct however. Too many models to go wading for trouble. Several good models have been suggested here and would do fine.

Stumpknocker

Just to end this post happily.... I picked up a Standard Horizons radio and will install it tomorrow. Alls well that ends well. ;)