optima battery

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has any one used the new "agm" style battery in their boat yet? They are supposed to resist vibration better. The cost is about $120 for the medium size starting battery. Are they worth the extra cost or should I buy the best convenital battery that I can find?

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: optima battery

Trophy -<br /><br />Try doing a search on the word optima. The general opinion is that there not worth $120. You get the most bang for the buck from a lead acid (wet) battery. (available at any Wal-Mart.) Get a marine deep cycle or marine starting battery because they will withstand more vibration + stuff than a car battery.<br /><br />If you must have a sealed AGM battery there are brands other than optima that are considered to be "good" batteries. (The optimas are real picky about being charged despite what the marketing hype says.)<br /><br />- Brian

tommays

Admiral

i wanted to get one but a deep cycle marine verison was about 3 times the price of a name brand deep cycle and i cant see it lasting long enough to pay that much money<br /><br /><br />tommays

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My first one died after 11 months. I got a new one free of charge but lets see how long this one last.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with Crab Bait. They charge at a different voltage and if your system is set for a standard Lead Acid battery like all factory motors then you will not charge the battery correctly and it will fail soon.

tommays

Admiral

if you were going to use an optima bettery in a car or boat what mods would have to made <br /><br />it seams strange to make a replacement battery that cant work with standard chargeing systems<br /><br />tommays

crab bait

Captain

TOM.. i have no clue..<br /><br />i had one.. burnt it up quick.. took it back.. got another one.. burnt it up too.. <br /><br />they gave credit for a non-optima..<br /><br />see,, they are SEALED up tite..!! <br /><br />any charge over a certain voltage blows them up internally.. understand..there's no 'gas escape'.. <br /><br />the only way to charge 'em is with a 'vector brand type' 3 stage charger..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Another answer to a problem we don't have yet. Needed for high vibration, sideways mounting... alterate charging method needed....<br /> Unless your running drugs into Florida in a 100 mph Cigarette boat, don't waste yer $

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Boatist:<br /> Install this regulator.<br /> http://www.westmarine.com/webap... (link to a Balmar regulator)
Balmar regulators are really good stuff! They makes the charging regulators for Xantrex. Also, Balmar will be updating with an integrated, user selectable charging profile specifically for NorthStar (Meridian Marine) AGM batteries like the one they already have for Optima AGMs.<br /><br />This is about as smart as a regulator gets ($450): http://www.amplepower.com/products/sarv3/index.html