ICOM questions

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know what the difference is between the Icom 302 and the 402? Thinking of upgrading my vhf.....

18rabbit

Captain
Re: ICOM questions

Right off the bat it appears the primary diff is the 402 has a port on back for an optional command mic (HM 127). This is in addition to the standard mic on the front of the radio. I have the 602 with this option. We use a HM 127 with an extension cord to the bow cabin. It’s like an intercom system but the HM 127 is also a smart mic with LCD display that can also remotely control the radio; listen, transmit, change channels, scan, but can’t access the DSC function. DSC is only initiated at the radio.<br /><br />I didn’t look at the 402a. You can read the manuals here:<br /><br /> http://www.icomamerica.com/downloads/manuals.asp

Stumpknocker

I did locate some info.... the 402s comes without the remote port for microphone. Without that, it would appear to be similar to the 302..<br /><br />I have found some bad reviews of the 402.... microphone problems they say.

Stumpknocker

It would now seem that perhaps the radio should not even be on the market if reviews can be believed. I am switching to another brand to be safe.

18rabbit

Captain

Icom is quality stuff. Where are you getting these reviews from? Pls post links.

Stumpknocker

Not knocking Icom, just that particular radio. I meant to say switching models to be safe. The problems I found with the 402 were related to the microphone being too watertight (is that possible?) and causing the owner to verily shout to be heard. Icom techs purported to have told one guy to perforate the sealed barrier in the microphone or keep shouting. These were reviews from a retailers customers. Some were quite positive. I will try and find it again and post if here. I think to be safe I will look again at the 302. Hard to tell the difference between them.....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Gil009<br />Your right hard to tell the difference. between the 302 and 402. Even harder to tell difference between the microphone since they are the exact same one.<br />The IC-402 has a larger LCD panel with scrolling channel function, Larger speaker, Microphone jack for remote Microphone.<br /><br />IC-402S Same as the IC-402 without the cost of the remote mic jack.

Stumpknocker

Well Boatist... you are correct. Finally made it to a West Marine and the two models do seem to have the exact microphones. Puzzling to me. I do like the display of the 402 as its larger. If the mikes are the same... what the heck. No idea what the complaint was about if others have no problems. I have not heard any complaints against the 302. Anyway I would get the 402S as I certainly don't need the other mike setup.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Gil009:<br /> ... should I just cut and paste the actual reviews?
I wouldn’t do that. As soon as I get a jar of paste open I end up eating it. :D