Navman 2100 installation

Searun1

Seaman
Quick question for someone that has installed one of these. Did you bolt down the sensor like the manual says to do? Will it still work if it is just plumbed into the fuel line or does it really have to be vertical and mounted to something to keep it vertical. I am looking for a place to do this and dont have many options. Any and all help regarding any experience with the Navman 2100 would be appreciated. Thanks.<br /><br />searun1

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Navman 2100 installation

Hi,<br />I have the little more advanced Navman 3100 Fuel. It has the same fuelflow sensor that is mounted on the fuel line as the Navman Fuel 2100 use.<br /><br />I have used my setup one season without problem this way:<br /><br />Fuel line from gas tank goes first to my Racor water/fuel separator, from there to the Navman fuel flow sensor that is hanging vertical in the fuel line, then outgoing line from fuelflow sensor go to the outboard (Yamaha F115).<br />As mentioned in the manual the fuelflow sensor MUST be installed AFTER the main fuel filter.<br /><br />In the manual it is mentioned: "It is preferable to mount the transducer in a vertical position." So it is not a must the fuelflow sensor is mounted vertical. If it is mounted in a holder or not does not matter in my opinion and judged from my practical use. The reason, as I understand it, to have the fuelflow sensor mounted in a holder is to make sure there is no chance it will by its own weight (it is rather heavy) and vibrations come loose from the fuel lines (in- or outcoming line).<br /><br />If You can not have the fuelflow sensor hanging vertical in your boat maybe it is best to place it in a holder and fasten it there. But what is important is that You use the clips (stainless steel in my case) on the fuel line to prevent any fuel line leak at the fuel flow sensor and prevent the fuel lines come loose.<br /><br />Picture of my Navman Fuel 3100 (and Depth 3100) instrument (to the right).<br />Good luck!<br />/Bo<br /><br />
5820.jpg

dekedekay

Recruit

Bo-<br /><br />How do you like your Navman 3100 - Is it accurate enough on fuel usage despite the relatively high flow threshold (1.3 gph)to register - are you hooked to a gps for calculating efficiency and do you like that feature<br /><br />Thanx <br />---Sausking

Dunaruna

Admiral

The reason it should be mounted vertically is so air bubbles don't upset the readings. If you are mounting ABOVE the the top level of the tank then you must have it vertical (gravity will ensure a clean fuel flow). I have mine horizontal but it is below the fuel tank - haven't had a problem.<br /><br />The refresh rate is ajustable according to your fuel usage, it can be very accurate when adjusted correctly.<br /><br />Aldo

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi Sausking,<br /><br /> How do you like your Navman 3100<br /><br />It works fine. But the need to calibrate the whole setup at first is a step that is a negative thing. But it is neccessary to get accurate reading.<br /><br /> Is it accurate enough on fuel usage despite the relatively high flow threshold (1.3 gph)to register <br /><br />Sure it is accurate (my Yamaha digital guage where it is also a fuel level meter built in is basically crap since it is so inacurrate).<br />Navman Fuel 3100 has a vertical fuel level bar that show how much fuel You have left. You have also in numbers the used and remaining fuel. User configurable low fuel alarm is also available.<br />And much more You can read in the PDF manual that is available at Navman homepage. <br /><br /> are you hooked to a gps for calculating efficiency and do you like that feature <br /><br />Yes, I have it hooked up to a Raymarine 435i chartplotter. This way You get also GPS speed input and it can calculate nautical mile (nm) per gal(or liter). The higher Nm/gal(liter) value You can get the more distance per gal(liter) you can travel (fuel economy). That is actually a better value than gal(liter) per hour that it can display also. It does NOT display gal(liter) per nautical mile.<br /><br />The only negative thing with the Navman Fuel 3100 is that it takes some time to understand all the menues and settings avaliable. I needed the manual in the beginning to be able to have all setup at first - so it is not intuitive. I probably need to check the manual again next spring/summer when boat season start here again since I will have forgot some during the winter.<br />Of course You must also reset fuel remaning to full when You fill up the gastank - if you forget that the instrument is not of much use regarding used and remaining fuel it display. So take it easy when filling up the gas tank so You do not forget this!<br /><br />Floscan is probably the best fuel flow instrument on the market but very expensive. Yamaha has also a Fuel management guage that is possible to interface with (gps)speed input. Mercury has Smartcraft Monitor that meter fuel consumtion, fuel used etc.<br /><br />If You do not have or want GPS speed input You may as well use a Navman Fuel 2100 since that will be enough then (and less expensive). But if you want fuel economy the Fuel 3100 is the way to go (or any other instrument like Floscan etc that can show that also).<br /><br />/Bo

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gentlemen,<br /><br />I'd like to cut in here with a related question.<br /><br />I'm looking at the Navman fishfinders with the fuel flow meter, I realize I need to buy the sensor/sender as well. Question is, if I take my fishfinder on and off the boat (mooring security), is it going to have any memory of the fuel when I hook it back up? I'd imagine there's an extra wire or too as well? Thanks!

Dunaruna

Admiral

All navman fishfinders have a non volatile memory - when power is disconnected ALL settings and last recorded readings are stored. <br /><br />I remove mine after every outing - no problems.<br /><br />Aldo

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed the navman 4500 with the fuel monitor option. The fuel flow sensor is definetly secured to the inside of the transom to prevent any movement. It is difficult to calibrate the fuel flow like the manual shows. I ended up burning about 50 gallons of fuel and topping of the tank several times before I could get the fuel usage really acurate. I also left my original fuel gauge hooked up since it still worked. I just moved it to the inside of the console. It's nice to have an extra color fish- finder onboard. Good piece of electronics for about $500. "Dunaruna" is correct about the memory when the navman is disconnected. The fish-finder is always "on" when the engine is running due to the built in hour meter and fuel monitor so you will need to hook up an ignition wire and a constant on 12v wire.

Searun1

Seaman

Well I finally got around to installing the NavMan 2100 fuel flow meter I bought. Thanks to all of you on Iboats that gave me advice. It was very easy to install but I like to get everything just right and reading the posts and thinking about it helped tremendously. So far I think the guage is excellent and I am learning quite a bit more about my boat due to the guage. I have a much better idea of my fuel usage as well and thats worth a ton. Once again thanks for all of the help. This really is an excellent site.<br /><br />SeaRun1

Dunaruna

Admiral

How did you finally decide to mount the sensor (fixed, loose, vertical or horizontal)?<br /><br /><br />Aldo

Searun1

Seaman

I put some conduit clamps around the fuel line and bolted them behind the fuel separator. Now it is securely mounted above the tank, vertical and out of the way. Works great except I need to get an exact total for the fuel tank to figure out capacity and usage.<br /><br />SeaRun1