External vs. Internal GPS antenna

Searun1

Seaman
Hi guys,<br /><br />I am currently in the process of looking for a GPS marine chartplotter. My leader right now is the Garmin 172c.<br /><br />I have a question though... Which one to buy between the internal antenna or the external antenna. Does the unit really need an external antenna?<br /><br />Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Want to buy right the first time. <br /><br />Searun1

foxden

Seaman
Re: External vs. Internal GPS antenna

It all depends upon where you intend to install the unit on your boat. The internal antenna needs an unobstructed area above so it will have access to the satellites. If it is under cover, you definitely need the external antenna which can be mounted anywhere on the boat.<br /><br />I believe the internal antenna unit may adapt to an external antenna if you need to add one later. My 176 unit had an antenna which could be removed and hooked to an external antenna.<br /><br />I am currently looking at the same unit and trying to determine how easy it would be to view in direct sunlight.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by foxden:<br /> I am currently looking at the same unit and trying to determine how easy it would be to view in direct sunlight.
Foxden - fwiw, Garmin has a very strong, positive rating for view-ability in direct sunlight, as well as night viewing. PBR consistently rates Garmin’s displays as some of the best, bettered only by Simrad’s SunView screens.

foxden

Seaman

Excuse my ignorance, but what is PBR?

Searun1

Seaman

I guess I should have stated where I was planning on mounting the GPS. I have a 16' runabout and the GPS will go on the dash right underneath the windshield. Plenty of area to pick up the signal.<br /><br />I just see the external antenna on so many boats. I see the external on runabouts and boats with cabins? Is it a better signal?<br /><br />Searun1

18rabbit

Captain

Foxden - PBR is Powerboat Reports. It is like Consumer Reports, but for powerboats. They have a sister publication/website; Sailboat Reports. They don't accept advertising, you have to pay to read their evaluations online. You can sign up for a free 15-day trial and read the current month and last month's articles/reviews/evaluation at www.powerboat-reports.com After that, you pay.<br /><br />Searun1 - Your GPS should have a meter built into it that shows satellite signal strength. If you are getting a good signal with the built-in antenna on the dash, you’re good to go. If not, you can add an external antenna.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Searun1<br />The internal antenna works pretty well thru glass and a soft canvas or vinyl top. It will not work thru metal windsheild frames, other electronic gear, Your body.<br /><br />I find my GPSMAP 76 works very well in my 21 foot Runabout. I have it mounted on the dash on the starboard side not too far from the aluminum window frame. I just have a vinyl top. Other electronics in my case do block the signal as they are higher and just to the left. Still I never loose position out on a lake or out to sea.<br /><br />I suggest if your only going to use it in your boat then get the external antenna. If you are going to put in your truck also while on the road then the internal antenna may be better. <br /><br />Why use an external? There are 24 GPS satellites up in low earth orbit. To get a position you need 3 birds. To also get elevation (3-D) your need 4 birds. These satellites are in low earth orbit and with 24 up you will not have trouble getting 4 for a 3-D position when out on the open water. There are also 2 Geostationary satelites that you can receive. (Garmin #35 AOR-W and Garmin #47 POR) Since these birds are Geostationary they are 22300 miles up and over the equator. From your location this means they will always be low on the horizon and a long ways away. These are the WAAS satellites used for error correction. If You can not receives these birds then your GPS accuracy is about 9 meters at best or 30 feet. With the WAAS error correction your accuracy is about 3 meters or 10 feet. In my opinion at your location to receive the WAAS birds consistently you will need to use a external antenna up high enough to not be blocked by other iteams on the boat. Somewhere near the top of the windsheild unless you have a radar. If mounted on the dash very often someone or something will block the WAAS birds and with WAAS birds accuracy builds over time. So for best accuracy go with an external mounted where it has a clear view of the entire horzion.<br /><br />Two WAAS birds your can see from your location are Garmin #47 POR (Pacific Ocean Region) at location 0 degrees Latitude and 178 degrees East longitude.<br />Also Garmin #35 AOR-W (Atlantic Ocean Region West) at location 0 degrees latitude and 54 degrees West Longitude.<br /><br />Garmin 172C will work on you dash with the internal antenna but to get the best accuracy I suggest the external antenna.

Searun1

Seaman

Thanks Boatist!<br /><br />I have a etrex legend on the dash now and it works great (just no mapping to speak of.) I will look into the external antenna option. Thanks for the info!<br /><br />Searun1

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />I do have an external antenna on my 182.The problem is that this really limits me in using the gps unit.With the internal antenna it is very easy to transfer the unit from boat to boat or even use it in your car

Searun1

Seaman

I see your point, but I would likely keep the chartplotter on the boat (and I only have one unfortunately!) Do the chartplotter work well in your car? I thought they were just for marine use? A nice big screen like that would be really nice while traveling. Again I use the etrex legend while driving as well. It is very hard to see!<br /><br />Searun1

dmonwai

Seaman

I also have Etrex Legend that I use in my boat and car and I agree it hard to see the small screen. I'm going to get a Garmin 276C soon. I have a 16' Smokercraft that I use to fish for salmon in Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.<br /><br />Damon

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Searun1<br />I have a little portable GPS MAP 76 and use the internal antenna. I find this unit easy to read out in sunlight. Riding in the car morning and evening or even at noon it is pretty hard to read. Also for one that now needs reading glasses with the small screen pretty hard to read but it can be done. I use the unit everywhere, on the boat as a backup and just in case we end up in a raft with no antenna out of the water. I use it in the car to give distance to next waypoint or turn off. I use it when fishing with a friend or out on a party boat to record the waypoint we fished. I use it when hiking in the mountains.<br /><br />For the car or even the boat under a top any new unit I buy will be color as much easier to see chart or data.

Searun1

Seaman

I will likely buy the new GPS with internal antenna. Thanks all for the advice and to help get the thought processes going. Multiple brains are always so much more effective. Dmonwai, hope you have been enjoying the great salmon fishingthis year!<br /><br />Searun1