Wiring Speakers to a Pontoon

agean

Recruit
The speaker wires to the used pontoon we just purchased go nowhere. The wires are hanging from the bottom of the speakers, about 10 inches of it. Where do they get threaded through to reach the radio ? Under the deck ? Under the carpet ? It is currently in the water so it difficult to see under the deck for clues. Also, what type of wire should we use ? Thank you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring Speakers to a Pontoon

Depends on where the radio is installed, where the speakers are, and how the boat is built.<br /><br />NOT under the carper, they will rub and wear from foot traffic.<br /><br />Type of wire? Depends on the stereo and speakers. 4 ohm? 8 ohm? 2 ohm?<br />Power in the unit? extra amp?<br /><br />Could range anywheere from 22 ga. to 10 ga. <br /> <br />If its a general run of the mill, $100 stereo, get some 16 ga spkr wire and hook em up. See if it even works. <br /><br />There must be a reason that someone yanked the wires out.<br /><br />Of course, if you want to do it "right", there is absolutely no end to how complex and sophisticated you can get.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wiring Speakers to a Pontoon

Agean,<br /><br />On my pontoon boat, all of the wires go down below the deck. The they run forward to the next cross brace, then to the starboard side along the cross brace. When you run them along the cross brace, run them on side towards the stren, this way any water hitting under the deck does not catch them. When they get to the side of the boat, mine run under the deck supports, to the helm. It should be very simple to run them. I added some lights on mine, it took about 10 minutes to runn the wire, while it was in the water, I just took it to the local sand bar.