Walmart Everstart trolling marine battery concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone, hope your summer is going well!! I had the above battery (maintainance free) for 2 years and used it with my trolling motor. In June it did not hold the charge as long 2 hours vs. 5 -6 hours, so I returned it for the same battery. Now they have the kind that you add water to. Anyway, I found that after I have fully charged it and left it in the garage for 2 weeks with out using it, it needs to be almost fully charged again. The maintainance free one that I had held a charge even if I did not use for a month. Is there a difference in the maintainance free battery and the add water battery? I just got back from Walmart and returned the other one because it did not hold a charge. They weren't too happy with me, but I explained my case and I got another "add water" battery. It is now charging up in my garage, so I will see how this one goes. Has anyone had this experience with these batteries? Any insight or suggestions are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Walmart Everstart trolling marine battery concerns

I had the same one, a series 29. The first one I got didn't hold a charge. Like you, I could use my Powerdrive for about an hour without the battery going dead. I returned it and got another. I have not used it yet with the Powerdrive and I hope it's not the same case. If it is, maybe there was a bad batch of those batteries?<br /><br />Dman

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have two Everstart dual purpose batteries (use one at a time, keep the other for a spare because of the time it takes to really fully charge one correctly) and both will hold a charge over the winter. One is the "Marine Max" and the other is the same size but not the "Max".<br /><br />There is something wrong, and I don't think it is the battery. Are you storing the battery in a battery box or on a concrete floor?<br /><br />Have you wrung out your boat for a low amp drain?

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep the battery on a piece of cardboard. I heard that a concrete floor can affect the charge of a battery. The trolling motor is a transom motorguide type. I've also heard that these trolling motors can drain a battery quickly. I guess my main concern is the battery draining even though I have not used it for a couple weeks. Thanks!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

JB, What amperage do you charge your batts. at and how long does it take? I've got the same ones and my automatic charger never shuts off at 2 or 10 amps.<br /><br />Not trying to hijack the thread, MB asked if anyone had experience with these. :)

18rabbit

Captain

Fwiw, the WalMart batteries are mfg'd by very reputable companies. I doubt it is the quality of the battery, probably left sitting on a wherehouse or on the shelf too long. In that case expect to get a bunch that are flat. Swap 'em 'til you're happy or return for a refund...that's the store policy...refund on anything except software and used underware.<br /><br />EverStart Maintainence Free – made by Delphi (also makes Sears DieHard Gold, some ACDelco. They are the same company that is a partner in XM satellite radio, makers of the Roadie XM radio receiver.)<br /><br />EverStart – made by Exide (also sold under a billion other names in every corner of the world, including Pacific Chloride and Marshall batteries in New Zealand.)<br /><br />EverStart MAXX – made by Johnson Controls (They also own/make the Optima battery, Interstate Battery, and a half-billion other battery companies including DieHard, Energizer, DureLast)

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new battery is fully charged now. I'm taking the boat out in a couple days for the weekend. I'll see how long I can run the trolling motor on it before it drains. Thanks everyone!!

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

I've been told by several experts that the concrete floor thing is a myth for today's batteries. They said that old batteries used to have wood and glass cases, and storing on a concrete floor could cause problems. Not sure about the problem you are having, but if you don't already have an onboard "smart" charger (such as a Guest), do yourself a huge favor and pick one up! They might seem expensive at first, but after you own and use one, you'll think they are a great bargain! JMHO.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a pair of those Group 29's in our boat for 3 years and just replaced them this past winter. There wasn't a thing wrong with them but I changed them anyway. I melted one of the terminals off of one of them in an act of pure stupidity, but it kept right on working for another year before I replaced it. Mine stays on a charger (Guest 2620A) all the time when the boat isn't in motion so battery problems for us are almost nonexistant.<br /><br />Anyway, I've always thought that the price savings for the Wal Mart version of the same battery I could buy a hundred other places for a lot more made it worth getting it there. Like the man said, Johnson Controls.<br /><br />Thom

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Taking off to the lake tomorrow. The new battery has held its charge. No problems at all. The one that I returned must have been from a bad batch.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a mith "I heard that a concrete floor can affect the charge of a battery"<br />IT does not affect the battery to set it on a concrete floor .<br />happy troling :)

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought 1 wal-mart (evercharge) 2 years ago and had 2 in the boat I just bought. The one I bought lasted less than one season (would only charge to 11.5 volts). The 2 in the boat I just bought where 1 season old, and would only charge to 11.7 volts.I know both sets where properly cared for. I now spend a little extra and use trojan batteries. Just my opinion.... I will not use wal-mart batteries in a boat.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

JB

Hi, DR.<br /><br />Sorry to be tardy answering your Q.<br /><br />I use an "automatic" charger and leave it on until my hygrometer says the battery is fully charged. This is often well AFTER the charger says it is fully charged. The charger starts at about 10 amps and gradually reduces to 2 amps, which continues after the "charged" light comes on.<br /><br />I believe two things that tell me a battery is fully charged: The hygrometer, and the battery condition reading on my Minn Kota Genesis when there is a load on the battery.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ronnfolk

Recruit

I have had very bad luck with Walmart Everstart batteries. I have replaced 3 of the 4 them within the first year. They would only charge to 11.8 volts. The bad part is I had to fight with Walmart each time in order for them to replace these under the 18 month "FREE" replacement time frame. They would simply tell me the battery needs to be charged. I would tell them I tried to charge it and would not. After talking with the manager he agree to try to charge it. After 45 mins He agreed the battery was shot and gave me a new one. Went these go bad I will replace them with Optima D31M. I will not buy any more Walmart batteries!

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use the MAXX Marine and have had 3 of them and could not ask for a better battery. 1st one was in my little 12' alum boat and would run my MinnKota all day and still be going. Other two are in my 17' Procraft and I just ran all day on one of them trolling around and still was going strong. Just remember to always recharge them as soon as possible when your done and keep an eye on the water level.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I think most batteries do not die they are killed. Some people always have trouble with batteries no matter the brand. Other never have battery problems no matter the brand.

So many do not charge the battery until they are ready to use it. They will charge up on Friday and fish Saturday then the next week will charge up on Friday and Fish Saturday then wonder why they have battery problems.

Also many battery problems happen after the installation of a new radio or a GPS with an external antenna hooked to the battery.

Starting batteries should not be discharged below 80 percent of full charge.
Deep cycle batteries should not be discharged below 50 percent of full charge.
After a battery is discharged it should be FULLY Recharged ASAP, the longer it is left discharged the more damage is done.

Fully charge with a good Automatic or Smart charger. Every onboard charger I have seen is a good smart charger. Do not charge with a trickle charger unless your have the tool and the attention to shut it off at the proper time.

I also suggest a Smart charger of at least 10 amps to help the battery recover quickly. If your charging 2 batteries then 10 amps per battery.

Many will say use a low amp charger as high amps will damage the deep cycle. I say just the oppsite as long as the charger is a smart charger the more amps the better. Charger will taper down and not over charge the battery.

An example is I charge both my batteries on board thru a battery isolator with a 65 amp alternator. Then when I get home I hook up the charger to the plug on the front of the boat. Next unload the gear on the boat and clean the fish. Cover the boat and then check the charger and make sure it is down to 0 amps.

My boat has never had a battery that did not last 6 years and my current deep cycle I bought back when Price club sold Delco Voyagers.

Also all batteries self dischage so in summer must charge at least once a month. In cold weather then the discharge rate slows down so can charge every 2 or 3 months.

I have seen one time where the store killed a battery. My friend bought a Sears Battery and got in home and hooked up but would not turn the motor over. I grabed a charger and a volt meter and went over to help but before charging pull off one of the caps to check water level and it was completely dry. Pulled the other and same thing. I am not sure what happened from there except I know he was not happy and the next day he had a bigger bigger battery for no charge. All he told me was the Sears manager wanted him out of the lobby.

por2gezo

Cadet

I just realized that I needed a Group 27 battery and bought a Group 29 .... will the 29 fit correctly in my battery tray ?

JB

Do you realize that you have hijacked a 5 year old thread??

That is very poor etiquette.

Please start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.