• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Walmart Everstart trolling marine battery concerns

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart Everstart trolling marine battery concerns

Hey everyone, hope your summer is going well!! I had the above battery (maintainance free) for 2 years and used it with my trolling motor. In June it did not hold the charge as long 2 hours vs. 5 -6 hours, so I returned it for the same battery. Now they have the kind that you add water to. Anyway, I found that after I have fully charged it and left it in the garage for 2 weeks with out using it, it needs to be almost fully charged again. The maintainance free one that I had held a charge even if I did not use for a month. Is there a difference in the maintainance free battery and the add water battery? I just got back from Walmart and returned the other one because it did not hold a charge. They weren't too happy with me, but I explained my case and I got another "add water" battery. It is now charging up in my garage, so I will see how this one goes. Has anyone had this experience with these batteries? Any insight or suggestions are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Re: Walmart Everstart trolling marine battery concerns

I had the same one, a series 29. The first one I got didn't hold a charge. Like you, I could use my Powerdrive for about an hour without the battery going dead. I returned it and got another. I have not used it yet with the Powerdrive and I hope it's not the same case. If it is, maybe there was a bad batch of those batteries?Dman

Comment

I have two Everstart dual purpose batteries (use one at a time, keep the other for a spare because of the time it takes to really fully charge one correctly) and both will hold a charge over the winter. One is the "Marine Max" and the other is the same size but not the "Max".There is something wrong, and I don't think it is the battery. Are you storing the battery in a battery box or on a concrete floor?Have you wrung out your boat for a low amp drain?
      sigpic

Comment

I keep the battery on a piece of cardboard. I heard that a concrete floor can affect the charge of a battery. The trolling motor is a transom motorguide type. I've also heard that these trolling motors can drain a battery quickly. I guess my main concern is the battery draining even though I have not used it for a couple weeks. Thanks!!

Comment

JB, What amperage do you charge your batts. at and how long does it take? I've got the same ones and my automatic charger never shuts off at 2 or 10 amps.Not trying to hijack the thread, MB asked if anyone had experience with these.
          We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children.

Comment

Fwiw, the WalMart batteries are mfg'd by very reputable companies. I doubt it is the quality of the battery, probably left sitting on a wherehouse or on the shelf too long. In that case expect to get a bunch that are flat. Swap 'em 'til you're happy or return for a refund...that's the store policy...refund on anything except software and used underware.EverStart Maintainence Free – made by Delphi (also makes Sears DieHard Gold, some ACDelco. They are the same company that is a partner in XM satellite radio, makers of the Roadie XM radio receiver.)EverStart – made by Exide (also sold under a billion other names in every corner of the world, including Pacific Chloride and Marshall batteries in New Zealand.)EverStart MAXX – made by Johnson Controls (They also own/make the Optima battery, Interstate Battery, and a half-billion other battery companies including DieHard, Energizer, DureLast)

Comment

The new battery is fully charged now. I'm taking the boat out in a couple days for the weekend. I'll see how long I can run the trolling motor on it before it drains. Thanks everyone!!

Comment

I've been told by several experts that the concrete floor thing is a myth for today's batteries. They said that old batteries used to have wood and glass cases, and storing on a concrete floor could cause problems. Not sure about the problem you are having, but if you don't already have an onboard "smart" charger (such as a Guest), do yourself a huge favor and pick one up! They might seem expensive at first, but after you own and use one, you'll think they are a great bargain! JMHO.

Comment

I had a pair of those Group 29's in our boat for 3 years and just replaced them this past winter. There wasn't a thing wrong with them but I changed them anyway. I melted one of the terminals off of one of them in an act of pure stupidity, but it kept right on working for another year before I replaced it. Mine stays on a charger (Guest 2620A) all the time when the boat isn't in motion so battery problems for us are almost nonexistant.Anyway, I've always thought that the price savings for the Wal Mart version of the same battery I could buy a hundred other places for a lot more made it worth getting it there. Like the man said, Johnson Controls.Thom

Comment

Taking off to the lake tomorrow. The new battery has held its charge. No problems at all. The one that I returned must have been from a bad batch.

Comment

This is a mith "I heard that a concrete floor can affect the charge of a battery"IT does not affect the battery to set it on a concrete floor .happy troling

Comment

I bought 1 wal-mart (evercharge) 2 years ago and had 2 in the boat I just bought. The one I bought lasted less than one season (would only charge to 11.5 volts). The 2 in the boat I just bought where 1 season old, and would only charge to 11.7 volts.I know both sets where properly cared for. I now spend a little extra and use trojan batteries. Just my opinion.... I will not use wal-mart batteries in a boat. Jim

Comment

A good resource about batteries (I believe someone posted this here before):Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions Also, What are the myths about batteries

Comment

Hi, DR.Sorry to be tardy answering your Q.I use an "automatic" charger and leave it on until my hygrometer says the battery is fully charged. This is often well AFTER the charger says it is fully charged. The charger starts at about 10 amps and gradually reduces to 2 amps, which continues after the "charged" light comes on.I believe two things that tell me a battery is fully charged: The hygrometer, and the battery condition reading on my Minn Kota Genesis when there is a load on the battery.Good luck.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have had very bad luck with Walmart Everstart batteries. I have replaced 3 of the 4 them within the first year. They would only charge to 11.8 volts. The bad part is I had to fight with Walmart each time in order for them to replace these under the 18 month "FREE" replacement time frame. They would simply tell me the battery needs to be charged. I would tell them I tried to charge it and would not. After talking with the manager he agree to try to charge it. After 45 mins He agreed the battery was shot and gave me a new one. Went these go bad I will replace them with Optima D31M. I will not buy any more Walmart batteries!

Comment

Working...
                              X