Icom 360 ML GPS

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I have an Icom 360 ML GPS chartplotter. Up until today it worked fine, now it seems like it finds all the satellites but doesn't "lock-on". Anybody have any experience with this unit?

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Icom 360 ML GPS

Tony,<br /><br />The ICOM ML360 used to be called the Micro Logic model 360. Micro Logic went out of business sometime around the year 2000 and ICOM bought up their name, parts, and existing stock. As far as I know ICOM never actually manufacturered any of the units, they just sold the existing stock until it ran out. There was a facility somewhere on the eastern shore of Maryland (Beale or something like that sticks in my mind) that was doing their repairs for them, but I don't even know if that is still in existance now that every one of them made would be out of warranty. So I think you are going to run up agains a brick wall in trying to get the unit repaired. As for the problem, from what little I understand about how GPS works its sounds as much as anything like some problem with the almanac data. I think if that is the case (once again, I don't know a lot about this) it would require a software up date to get it working again, and I'm not sure that the original software has ever been updated, so it may be that nothing is available. <br /><br />I know that is not what you wanted to hear but you have to understand that the ML 360 has been around for a very long time. It was actually one of the first chartplotters made for recreational use. It never ceased to amaze me how long ICOM kept on selling them. Nothing lasts forever.<br /><br />Thom

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Threw mine in the garbage after it died (same deal, no satellites) and bought a Furuno GP-32..

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I spoke to Icom yesterday. They told me that they are having problems with the software in the unit. I hope they are able to update it!

18rabbit

Captain

All ICOM 360 GPS quit working on July 17th. There is info about the free eprom update on ICOM's website. Go to http://www.icomamerica.com/ and click on the GP360 icon in the upper right corner. Follow the instructions.