Garmin external GPS antenna compatibility

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a Garmin 152 w/external antenna. Not that old but I might want to replace it with a 162 or 172 to get cartographic capabilites. Does anyone know if these units use the same antennas? Running the antenna cable though the bowels of the boat was easily the hardest part of the installation.<br /><br />I'll check the website, but my batting average on getting decent answers (or any answers) from "ask us a question" on manufacturer's websites is not good.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Garmin external GPS antenna compatibility

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Garmin's Customer Service.<br /><br />Best in the industry in my opinion. :)

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, JB, like most of your advice, you were right on.<br /><br />I got to a human being in less than 30 secs. The external antenna is model GA29 and is the same on Garmin 152, 162, 172, 182.<br /><br />I don't understand it. This never happens to me. I'm usually on hold for 35 minutes just to talk to someone with an IQ of 9 who was hired 36 minutes previously.<br /><br />They must have thought it was someone else calling.

Constancia

Seaman Apprentice

The GA 29 is the same external antenna my 128 or 76map uses. I just ordered one to replace the GA28 that my fixed unit originally came with and after five years, went kaput. The GA29 is taller and mushroom shaped, comes with 30 ft. of prewired coax, ready to plug and play. I did a lot of searching before I bought it. Best price was through LuLu Electronics at $89.85. Everybody else was $119 or $129. for the same thing.<br />You can check it out here: http://electrolaptops.site.yahoo.net/gaga29lowprr.html <br /><br />Stuart