How to hook up 2 12 volt batteries

srcarver

Recruit
AS a new boat owner, I'm kind of lost. I has to replace both batteries. The left side was a starting and RV the right side was for deep cycle. The boat did not have a harness. ans the right side battery had wires red,orange,white & black. The left side has onlt a black and red for starting the engine, and suppose there were no others hooked to it. All the wires were disconnected when I bought it, or I wouls have made a detailed diagram. Can someone please help with my dilemma.<br />Thanks<br />scarver@storyco.com

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to hook up 2 12 volt batteries

Do the wires have any terminals on them?<br />Could be an indication of which post they go on.<br />One might be bigger than the other and will only fit on the one post.<br /><br />Red is normally always hot, but don't take that for granted.<br />Just like black is normally ground.<br />You don't know if someone has been messing around with the wiring or not.<br /><br />Get you on some safety glasses first and then<br />I would start by hooking up the red and black first.<br /><br />Hook one up and then just touch the other one to the other post to see if you get any kinda spark here.<br />Large spark means bad, turn them around.<br /><br />Don't know what kind of ACC's you have, but turn your lights on and see if they work.<br />Livewells, bilge pump, etc.<br /><br />Then touch one of the other wires to the hot and see if anything comes on.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to hook up 2 12 volt batteries

srcarver,<br /><br />Can you give us some more information.<br /><br />What type of boat and motor. Also you said, the left side was a starting and "RV" battery. What do you mean RV?<br /><br />Do you have a helm? any gauges, lights etc...<br /><br />Pumps, live wells? radios or anything else that runs on 12 volts?<br /><br />From there we can try to help you track down what you need to do. <br /><br />My first step would be to hook the red & black from the starting battery and see if you can get the boat running.<br /><br />Second would be to see what electrical runs and what does not.<br /><br />Good Luck