Non-saltwater trolling motor in saltwater? Is it OK?

BoneDigger

Seaman Apprentice
I have a MinnKota Powerdrive that I use 99.9% of the time in freshwater, but was wondering if "occassional" saltwater use would destroy it? The warranty says that saltwater use will void the warranty, but I'm talking maybe a total of five days out of the year.<br />If it's washed down right after use will it still hurt the motor? I read on another post about being able to add a sacrificial anode. Where do I get one and do they work well?<br /><br />Todd

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Non-saltwater trolling motor in saltwater? Is it OK?

BoneDigger, Salt water trollers do have zincs, but they also have hermetically sealed electronics. If salt water gets into your electronics, you're done. You can't just wash them off. I would not take your motor into salt water.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You probably already know this but MK also makes a dedicated saltwater series known as the RIPTIDE. They are a few more sheckles out of the gate but are built to stand up to the demands of salt water and guaranteed for 3 years. If you want to dunk your troller in salt you may consider putting your power drive on e bay or selling it to purchase a Riptide series trolling motor. Although you may have to take a hit on the price, you won't be shelling out all the money for a new troller if you kill your powerdrive from the salt.<br /><br />Kevin

Mike Langianese

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What they said, used mine in salt for a day and it died the next. :D <br />If it's not made for saltwater don't take the chance. :)

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BoneDigger,<br /><br />Not to be contrary, but I've been using mine in salt water its whole life. It's a cheepie $95 24# bought it about 7 years ago, and the only thing I've done to it is reinforce the mounting bracket. Now yall have mentioned circuit boards/electronics, I wouldn't think mine has that in it. I understand some newer models have them in the motor compartment, correct me if I'm wrong. I just bought an Allterain bow mount tiller 40#. I know its not saltwater duty. I hope it doesn't have the electronics yall are talking about. <br /><br />The electronics, would that be for the fancy auto pilot ones??<br /><br />Beck

jfc092

Seaman

I too have used a standard Minn Kota 3 HP model in the salt for years with no problems. I do take extra precautions by washing it down with fresh water after each use and then coating it with CRC 6-56 and a light coat of grease on the transom clamps.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Heck I just use my regular minn kota 34 lbs thrust engine in the salt, I dont even wash it off and ive been doing it for 3 years now? Got it at wal-mart....

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used one in salt water with no problems either. The motors are sealed and water shouldn't get inside from the get go. Just care for it by washing it afterwards with freshwater and you should be fine.

rotor_av8

Seaman

I've heard it isn't ok but have been using mine for 6 months and never have an issue. I rinse it along with everything else with a garden hose when I get out. Nothing major.

Having an electronics degree I would think none of the electronics should be exposed to water anyway. Electronics plus water while powered up = failure. Saltwater put onto electronics while non-powered then dried out will cause corrosion...bad corrosion. Fresh water put onto non-powered electronics then dried out will be fine. The circuit board manufacturer I used to work at uses distilled water to wash the solder flux off of all of their electronics...this is popular.

Maybe the salty air or splashing water is the issue.....maybe the upper case is sealed better on saltwater models. My upper case never gets wet. I seboats using them everytime I go out. Not to say that means it is right.

-Rotor

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i say keep it in fresh water. the swivel joints are not made for salt water. i have one that is froze up. also tried a gas air cooled 2 hp, salt air all the electrics under the flywheel,

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I have been using a Power drive MK40pf on the salt the last couple of years and i have not had a problem. The foot pedal got broke cause i dropped the ancor on it and bought a new one. But the trolling motor works great! There has been plenty of times too that the bow has dunked close to the water line and the water splashed on the "head" of the troller. Its happened a lot of times and i have not had any problems at all. I understand that the "tiptide" motors are made for the salt water but they just have a Zink paint on them and 1 extra seal in the lower from what i was told. But ive used a pedal powerdrive for a couple years i delaware bay! That is bad water. Also i use a Briggs and stratton 5hp for a kicker in the salt water too with no problems. Of course i clean them all verry well after use!!!!