Location of GPS antenna

DEM

Cadet
I am having my local boat dealer install my GPS antenna (part of a combo Lowrance LCX 19c) and he suggested putting it on the "dash" of the driver's console on a 17 foot aluminum boat, between the LCX monitor and a VHF radio, behind a windshield (Lund Pro V 1775).<br />Is this going to work OK? He says he does it on Rangers. Alternative would be to put it out away from the console where more likely to get stepped on, etc..<br />Is there going to be interference from windsheild and nearby devices is my concern.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Location of GPS antenna

Don<br />I do not belive the windshield glass will affect it.<br />I am sure you will get all the normal GPS birds and be able to get a good position. My handheld GPS works in my car even setting down on the seats. It also works sitting on the dash. My only consern would be the one WAAS bird AOR-W (Altantic Ocean Region West). AOR-W for you will be low on the horizon. The bird is geostationary over the equator at 54 west longitude. If you receive this bird it will change your accuracy from about 9 meters to 3 meters (10 foot). I belive this can be recieved fine thru the glass but if the X19c or your VHF or any metal window frame is between the antenna and the bird I dout you will get the AOR-W bird. If you do not get AOR-W your accuracy will be about 30 feet instead of 10 feet. Still that is very good. So what percentage of the time would AOR-W be blocked? If you could mount it at the top of your window frame I think it would be better.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,<br />Since the Lund has wide 'gunnels, why not mount the receiver there? It might be a little more work for the dealer but he can run the extension coax along side the gunnel using the same path as with the transducer cable then mount it toward the rear of the boat away from overhead obstructions. I bought some of the more permanent type double-sided tape and put a few strips of that on the magnetic base of the receiver then mounted it on top of the 'gunnel. It hasn't moved in two years but I can get it off if I really want to and have no holes to cover up.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don,<br /><br />I have the X18c which is going on a 19ft center console. Ironically, I just got the receiver for it last week and was thinking about asking the same question. My dealer indicated antenna placement anywhere on top of the console will work fine but I really don't feel comfortable poking holes in my console only to find myself relocating the antenna.<br /><br />I may end up hooking everything up except for permanently installing the antenna. One day out on the lake moving the antenna around to different areas of the console should give a good idea if antenna placement is really that critical. Perhaps a little sticky putty will hold things in a few different places while turning over all the stones to get a good idea of which location works best.<br /><br />Also, I'm not sure if I will use the cone that came with the receiver or mount the puck flush on top of the console for a lower profile appearance. Perhaps I will try both alternatives while I am moving the antnna around.<br /><br />Kevin