GPS Antenna Mounting Height

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I recently purchased an ICOM GP360ML GPS unit and am getting ready to install. How high does the antenna have to be mounted? Does it have to clear everything else? Or can I mount it on the side of the Cuddy Cabin? the boat is a '78 20' Grady White W/A.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: GPS Antenna Mounting Height

I'm almost afraid to answer a GPS question after some recent posts, but here goes. The antenna should not be mounted on the side of the cabin. The cabin may block some of the satellite signals from reaching the antenna. Height makes no difference when installing the antenna, but it needs to be above any obstructions. If you can mount it on top of the cuddy, that should be fine. It does not need to be on a mast or whatever. Hope this helps, keep looking though, you may get some different opinions. :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

FreeBeeTony<br />I agree with Rat. Height makes no difference as long as it is pointed up and and has a clear view. Most of the important Satellites will be high in the sky and as long as you find 4 you will get a good position about 10 meters. However to get one of the two WAAS corrections satellites you need to see low on the horizon. These satellites will get you within 3 meters.<br /><br />The WAAS birds are over the equator and GEOSTATIONARY. Altantic Ocean Region (AOR) is at 54 degrees West longitude. Pacific Ocean Region (POR) is at 178 degrees east longitude so unless your in the middle of the Pacific or Atlantic ocean near the Equator the WAAS Satellites will be low in the sky. I would not worry about a canvas top but would try and clear any hard top.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't argue a bit with either of them. I like to put them up a bit, but as long as they have a good unobstructed view of most of the sky its not that important. They can receive through canvas tops and through glass, hard tops are a different matter. Also, if you have, or intend to install, radar you need to either get the GPS antenna above or below it, but not in line with the radar's beam. Other than that you can put them most anywhere.<br /><br />One thing though, you said on the side of a cuddy, and that can be problematic. If the mounting blocks half of the view, which is to say you just put it down on the side of a cabin wall, then you will have considerable reduced sky-view. <br /><br />On my boat, which has other antennas (2 VHF and a Cell) mounted as well as Radar, I used a standard mount on the side of the cabin wall and then an inexpensive extension to raise it up to just above the canvas top. This gave me a complete sky view, with the exception of the very small area blocked by the radar and other antennas, while holding the GPS antenna below the radar's beam. It also allows me to tilt it down when towing. Its not a clearance problem by the way, the Radar is the highest part when we tow, its to lessen bug splatter. Really!<br /><br />
antennamount.jpg
<br /><br />Anyway the picture is just there to give you an alternative idea. <br /><br />Thom

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Thom,<br /><br />Thanks a ton. I have the same problem, and you solved it... :) I really like the way you did that and I will copy it. Excellent solution. <br /><br />How about a full picture of the boat???????? :p

ThomWV

Pointer94,<br /><br />Did you ever see a guy who wouldn't show a picture of his boat?<br /><br />In this picture the antenna layout was a little different. I had a different chartplotter when this picture was taken and the GPS antenna was mounted on the forward antenna mount, not the rear on as in the picture above, when it was taken. Also, the cell phone antenna, which is 4-feet (Digital Antenna model 563CW used with their DF-4000 amplifier) was on the same side, but behind the GPS antenna. At that time I was using the 9.5' Shakespeare model 5399 and a Shakespeare 5225-XT on the other side. Now days I have the 5399 and the cell phone antenna on the Port side and the GPS antenna along with a Digital Antennas 529VW (I took the Shakespeare 5225 off and gave it to my Grandaughter for her 'fort') on the Starboard side. You know how it goes, time passes by and things change.<br /><br />
IMAGE04.JPG
<br /><br />The picture was taken about a year and a half ago at the public ramp at the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, Oregon Inlet, North Carolina.<br /><br />Thom

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Awesome layout, What brand of boat is this? It appears you do a little offshore fishing.. ;) <br /><br />You are right, every man should have a picture of his boat at the ready.. :)

ThomWV

The boat is a 1991 SportCraft 232-WAC (Walk Around Cuddy). It has an 8.5' beam and a bit of bow flare to keep the spray down. We fish off shore almost exclusively, for Tuna mostly but for billfish during the hot months. I've had the boat since new (13 years now) and its had a bunch of different electronics in it at one time or another. <br /><br />I need to get some current pictures, got a new engine, a new paint job is in process, and new graphics are on the way. I can't wait for it to warm up!!!!<br /><br />Thom

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Thom,<br />Nice name on your boat. I assume this refers to rooster bashing?? ;) :D :D

18rabbit

Captain

:D :D :D :D <br /><br />Ahein - That is not a "C" ... it is an "R".<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D