Help!-- fuel gauge gone haywire

FISHINCHICK

Cadet
I finally got my new (to me) 1988 StarCraft Mariner 160 in the water Sunday. :fish2: But the fuel gauge just goes haywire. The gauge is off when the ignition is off. When I turn the key on and start the engine, the fuel gauge will show 3/4 tank (which should be correct), then after a few minutes the gauge will jump in a millisecond to 1/4 tank, then jump to EMPTY, then maybe stay there for a minute or 2, then maybe back to 3/4. The fuel tank is in the floor, and I have access to where the wires are connected to the tank. The wires look good, but most of the wires are inaccessible. The connections look good on the gauge and the tank. Is there a sending unit somewhere? I don't know how it works. :confused:

sam am I

Commander
Re: Help!-- fuel gauge gone haywire

Yeah the sender is most likely bad. Check the ground/s thou first!!

The float is inside the tank thou, works sorta like toilet float valve only different........Here's an actual real live woman working on one too!!

Marine mechanics: Women

Too bad she didn't detail it a tad more but, this should supplement...She got it fixed thou :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ccqSgfrRo

Yours will most likely be the "Aftermarket" type readings.

Cute handle BTW, I say that because my other half goes by "Fishnchickie".......GL

Last edited: