Fuel gauge quit

svb165

Cadet
the end of last season my fuel gauge started bouncing back and forth and would stick below E,, a tap or two on the glass and it would work again, for a bit.

Im pretty rusty on boat electronics but it seems like a bad gauge too me, but could the sender cause these symptoms?
bad ground somewhere??
all the contacts are clean and tight both on the tank and gauge. it has teleflex gauges

1983 Stingray svb165
120 m/c ser# 640762

Attachments

• fuel and tach gauge.JPG
    fuel and tach gauge.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • fuel gauge back.JPG
    fuel gauge back.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel gauge quit

the end of last season my fuel gauge started bouncing back and forth and would stick below E,, a tap or two on the glass and it would work again, for a bit.

Im pretty rusty on boat electronics but it seems like a bad gauge too me, but could the sender cause these symptoms?
bad ground somewhere??
all the contacts are clean and tight both on the tank and gauge. it has teleflex gauges

1983 Stingray svb165
120 m/c ser# 640762

Not saying you don't have a sender issue, but tapping on the bezel glass of the gauge corrects the read doesn't point to a sender issue. It points to a gauge issue... And while your pictures show a nice wiring layout, all those connections could be cleaned 'til shiny contacts are seen. Those connectors are in need of some attention to bring back the copper color again... JMHO!

svb165

Cadet

yes i will be cleaning them up better today.Testing the gauge also. tapping does nothin now, the needle just turns backward when the key is turned on.
this boats been on a small lake since new till i got it, now i use it mostly in the atlantic and am getting rust and corrosion where it didnt have before,, workin on that with dielectric grease.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If you have a meter (DVM or volt ohm meter) you can always check to see if the sender/sensor reads properly. Use the Ohms scale and read the resistance to verify it sweeps between (40 ohms to 230 ohms for some gauges) or whatever your fuel gauge requires. If the sender unit reads good, AND the wiring and connections are good and clean, then the gauge is shot...

svb165

Cadet

Thanks gm280,, i will break out the scotch brite pads and meter right afta brunch :hungry: