Need help with anchor lights

PatSea

Cadet
I have a problem with my anchor light not coming on when I turn on the anchor light switch, and could use some help.
Situation:
My navigation lights on my cruiser consist of the red and green bow lights, a white stern light, and a combination masthead light/white all around light. They are controlled by two lighted SPST switches with a ground terminal to provide power for the switch light. (The switches are lit when turned ON). One switch is for the nav lights, one is the anchor light. The nav lights work properly, including the front bulb on the masthead light. The anchor light should consist of the front and back bulbs on the masthead light, but only the rear bulb comes on with the anchor switch. When I turn both the nav light switch and anchor light switch on, all of the lights come on, so I know that all of the bulbs are OK. It seems to me it must be a wiring problem at the switches.
The masthead light has three wires:
A black (ground) wire which goes to the ground tab on the nav light switch.
A red power line to the front half of the masthead light, and goes to the switched side of the nav switch.
A grey power lead to the rear half of the masthead light, and it goes to the switched side of the anchor switch.
This wiring obviously is not correct, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems I might need a jumper wire and a diode in one of the lines so as not to backfeed the nav light switch.
I hope this makes sense. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with anchor lights

I have a problem with my anchor light not coming on when I turn on the anchor light switch, and could use some help.
Situation:
My navigation lights on my cruiser consist of the red and green bow lights, a white stern light, and a combination masthead light/white all around light. They are controlled by two lighted SPST switches with a ground terminal to provide power for the switch light. (The switches are lit when turned ON). One switch is for the nav lights, one is the anchor light. The nav lights work properly, including the front bulb on the masthead light. The anchor light should consist of the front and back bulbs on the masthead light, but only the rear bulb comes on with the anchor switch. When I turn both the nav light switch and anchor light switch on, all of the lights come on, so I know that all of the bulbs are OK. It seems to me it must be a wiring problem at the switches.
The masthead light has three wires:
A black (ground) wire which goes to the ground tab on the nav light switch.
A red power line to the front half of the masthead light, and goes to the switched side of the nav switch.
A grey power lead to the rear half of the masthead light, and it goes to the switched side of the anchor switch.
This wiring obviously is not correct, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems I might need a jumper wire and a diode in one of the lines so as not to backfeed the nav light switch.
I hope this makes sense. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like everything is wired correctly and working correctly too... :confused:

PatSea

Cadet

Sorry, I may not have been clear. The anchor light is not working properly. For anchor light, the masthead light should have both the front bulb and rear bulb on (for 360 degrees), but only the rear bulb comes on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There is a separate wire that comes form the switch for the front bulb. Check the back of the switch to make sure its there. have you pulled the bulb to make sure it's good and that there is power at the socket?

EDIT: Sorry, I see you said there was a wire. Obviously I need to read a little more carefully!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

sounds like the anchor light switch is getting its power form the nav light switch. Take a look to see what is sourcing the power to the anchor light switch.

UncleWillie

Captain

First confirm that this is a PowerBoat and not a SailBoat.
The Split Masthead White Light is a Sailboat fixture.
Sailboats do not show White towards the bow, Under-sail, Powerboats do!

Are you over or under 12 meters (~39ft)? Different lighting here also.

You have White Masthead lights! Do you also have a White Stern light, Low, near the transom area?

The switching will be easy to correct as soon as we know what needs to shine when!

Your switches are both SPST and Illuminated via a ground Terminal. Total of 3 terminals each including the Ground. Correct?

If it is a power boat under 12m just move the Red over to join the Grey on the Anchor switch.
NAV will control the Red/Green, ANCHOR will control all the Whites.

Last edited:

jhebert

Ensign

Wire the lights as three separate circuits, as follows:

--Circuit A: sidelights and sternlight

--Circuit B: forward sector of your masthead light/anchor light

--Circuit C; aft sector of your masthead light/anchor light

The switches will need to both be two pole switches.

Switch-1, Pole-1 will run Circuit A
Switch-1, Pole-2 will run Circuit B

Switch-2, Pole-1 will run Circuit B
Switch-2, Pole-2 will run Circuit C

When Switch-1 is on, the sidelights, masthead forward, and sternlight will illuminate.

When Switch-2 is on, the masthead forward and masthead aft will illuminate.

PatSea

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. This is a 32' power boat with a sternlight, and a split masthead light. My current switches are SPST 3 terninal, one of which is a ground terminal to illuminate the switch when it is ON. One switch is for NAV lights, the other for ANCHOR lights. I undewrstand the suggestion to use two pole switches, but what has me confused is how the previous masthead light worked properly with these SPST switches. Could the previous light have been wired with a diode in the cuircuit?

UncleWillie

Captain

In your opening post you did not mention the White Stern light.

You will not want to show the Rear Masthead at the same time as the Stern light or you would be showing 2 White lights astern. Where is the Stern light wired? ANCH or NAV switch?

Your easiest, and least confusing, option would be to wire the RED/GRN Light to the NAV Switch,
and the WHT Stern and the WHT Forward Masthead to the ANCH Switch. The Rear Masthead is not used.

When under power turn ON both Switches, When Anchored, Turn ON the ANCH Switch only.

sam am I

Commander

Two diodes actually but, by the sounds of it, I suspect you sorta knew that already eh?....

Soooo,......No jumper needed, wiring is okay too, just D2(internal to the fixture I assume) I suspect is bad/open.

Good call(and articulation) BTW!!

Goofy ****.jpg

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

Sam,
That would work too!

You may wish to redraw it as I am doubtful that many owner are going to be willing to pull down the Masthead fixture to add the diodes. The diodes located at the switches should be feasible.

sam am I

Commander

Work too? As I understood it, that is what he has been running and it went in the crapper/needed fix'n!

OP, if you didn't? Sounded like you had already but, if you hadn't yet, check high and low for the diodes at, around or inline betwixt the switches and the Masthead. Else they are most likely built in the lamp fixture as I had drawn.

:noidea:

But if someone wants to modify up the drawing to their liking/needs, they're welcome to as I'm sure they'll figure up something.

I could be out to lunch thou, I'll use the age card in that case.:D

Last edited: