Second Audio battery with 105amp alternator

Kamilo

Seaman
Hi everybody. I got new alternator for my soundsystem on 5.7 merc also got Blue Sea 7620 Automatic Charging Relay, And I should be able to install it. My question is regarding second battery that i will use to power amplifiers. I have optima blue top D31M battery. Could i just use this one to power 3 amps with total of 2000W or i have to get extra one or maybe exchange for yet another one? Already spent bunch of $ and would love to use the D31M.
Thank you!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Second Audio battery with 105amp alternator

You other thread said you had 2 of the optima batteries already for your sound battery bank.

Kamilo

Seaman

You other thread said you had 2 of the optima batteries already for your sound battery bank.

Yes i had blue and yellow but i cant find the yellow one anywhere :/

Last edited:

dizzy1

Seaman

You probably need more batteries depending on what you are doing with the stereo on. If you are beaching or anchored with the motor off, doubt 1 battery is going to last for 3 amps. You need to find out how many amps of power your pulling total to get a better idea. 3 small amps or 3 beefy amps? I run 1 JL 700/5 amp that pulls about 60amps at full volume. I run it to 2 24 deep cycles and it gets me about 6 hours straight when beached. I have a third battery wired to the other side of a 1/2/off/on switch to start it up after a day on the beach. When i get home, i plug in the charge to charge up the stereo bank.

If your just blasting the radio boating around with the engine on, wouldn't worry about all the batteries. 2 seperated batteries will be fine.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I somehow knew this was coming back....You would do well finding 3 exide deep cycle battery's hooking them in parallel cheaper just as effective and the alternator still wont be able to keep them charged...Maybe two golf cart battery's one for live action one for back up.

fishrdan

Admiral

My $.02..... Forget about the Optimas, they don't have carp for reserve capacity! Go with big flooded wet cell batteries or big AGM batteries like Diehard's ($$$). You're looking for heavy batteries, not necessarily high tech batteries...

With that type of stereo you're going to need a LOT of reserve power for any reasonable play time while beached. I'd start with 2- group 31 deep cycles, then add 2 more if needed for more play time.

One other thing, batteries will provide more power the slower they are discharged. IE: if 1 battery only lasts an hour, 2 of those batteries could last 3 hours, or 4 of those batteries could last 8 hours. (This is just an example, not an exact figure.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to spend that much money, go to Sears and buy a Sears Die Hard Platinum. They are re-badged Odyssey AGMs. You can get them on sale occasionally. That is what I have in my Wellcraft.

Kamilo

Seaman

If you are going to spend that much money, go to Sears and buy a Sears Die Hard Platinum. They are re-badged Odyssey AGMs. You can get them on sale occasionally. That is what I have in my Wellcraft.

I found new werker for 150 shipped. Should i take it?

dizzy1

Seaman

If you plan to drain the batteries near flat each week, i'd buy cheap deep cycles. Even the good ones are not going to survive many years if fully drained then charged. I use cheap Walmart deep cycles for under 100, replace every few years. Save the fancy agm battery for the starting side since i've had good luck with those lasting as a starting battery for over 5+ years.